1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a Cab to Pair with Mesa Boogie Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Livewire, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, guys, I'm the new owner of a Mesa Boogie Walkabout with the silver face and input / passive inputs. I've been pairing it with an Avatar 210 Neo and feel like im lacking warmth in my tone and lower mids. I've been thinking of either a Mesa 112, Mesa 212, Bergantino 112,or an Ampeg 410HE. Portability, reliability, and no rat fur is a must. I'm a little reluctant of the 212 or 410 because I won't probably be able to fit it in my Volkswagen Passat. But if some Mesa 212 owners can can shed some light on transporting theirs, maybe I'll reconsider. Also thinking of getting two Mesa 112. This will be used primarily at home and whatever little gigging I do, this will be the rig. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. If you can find a couple Diesel 115s... :D :D :D

Easy to move in a Passat too.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    the mesa PH 2 12 is the same size cab as the 4 10.
    the PH 1 12's are compact but quite deep cabs and fairly heavy for a 1 12.

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    A lot of people LOVE Walkabouts but ultimately flip em because they are relatively low powered, so a very sensitive speaker would be the ticket to make the most of the power on tap.

Personally, I've found the Faital 15PR400 is awesome to make the most out of lower powered amps :)

5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i own a walkabout
    i run it thru two EA CXL 1 12 cabs. 4 ohm load
    very sensitive cabs BTW
    i will tell you right now that that little rig is smoking powerful and clear and could never need more.
    watts is only part of the story.

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    No doubt! There's a reason why that amp gets so much love...just pointing out that a high sensitivity driver will help make the most of it :)

7. The scout 112 extension cab is a really really nice match! get two and you are sorted!

Laura Camacho likes this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The WA through a Bergantino HD212 was the best bass tone I've ever heard. Or get two HD112s

9. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    The Mesa PH212 (I have and gig 2 of 'em) are about mid-70lbs. range in weight, and with casters are very easy to move. I can pick them each up easily and get them into the back of my pickup.

However, I WILL say that make sure you can fit the 212 into your Passat- Mesa PH cabs are very deep (I think about 22") so if you don't have a hatchback they may not fit into your rear doors. I had that problem when I bought a car in 2010, my Mesas wouldn't fit! However that just meant my singer was my roadie for the past 2 years- so not too shabby! :D
    Now I have an F150 again and it's no biggie, but they're considerably deeper than a "traditional" sealed cab design.

10. Mesa WA + Aguilar GS112s or GS412s = bass tone nirvana!

11. Not sure if it will fit ... but I found a Mesa PH115 cabinet with a blown driver. I ordered a Faital 15FH510. I think it's a perfect match with my WA 112. Both speakers seem to be about the same efficiency, so neither overpowers the other. It makes the room shake, rattle, and roll! Lows galore.

( http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm )

12. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    rat fur

=(

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Agree. I have a 4 Ohm Greenboy Bassic 15 that plays beautifully with that head. I have the 22lb composite version-weighs only a tad more than the walkabout itself :)

Without a tweet it's a superb old-school cab, but you can add a tweet if you like as well.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found that a lot of cabs do well with the WalkAbout. Some cabs which are somewhat portable and which might fit your bill include the Baer ML-112 (two of these with a WalkAbout is glorious!), Ampeg SVT-210AV (again, I'd recommend two of them), any combination of the PH112, PH210 and PH212 (the PH210/PH212 mixed stack is fantastic, too, btw), Bergantino HD or AE (or now the CN) 1x12, 2x10, or 2x12, or - a recent fave - the forth coming NV115.

Lots of great options out there! :cool:

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've played my Walkabout through a great many different cabs, and by far, my favorite has been the Genz Benz Uber 212. Close 2nd is Aguilar DB 212. In general, the 212 format is great. Adding an 8 ohm 112 on top creates a nice 2.6 ohm 3x12 rig with plenty enough power for most, and great tone at a good loud level.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Another combo that I had which worked really well - in fact, these were the first cabs I paired up with my WalkAbout - was a mixed Epifani stack, with a UL-110 and UL-112. Even though it's contrary to common advice of mixing identical cabs, the UL-110/UL-112 always sounded far better - and louder! - to my ears than two of either one.

17. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think I'm leaning more towards either the Berg 112HD or Mesa PH112. Then if I need to, add another identical 112 to match. Def will be looking in the used market for both. A 212 I think is more than I need right now.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For the Walkabout, the Scout cabs are really great at warm and fat.
    Depending on your volume needs, the 112 is nice for small/medium stuff, the 115 for bigger stuff.
    As has been previously mentioned, The Walkabout is not a terribly loud head.
    But, it will run happily at 2.67 or 2 ohms, so, you can readily run 4 8ohm cabs if you want to.

Two Scout cabs will suit most people, for most things.
    For home use and light gigging, 112 would be plenty.
    For medium to large gigs 115 or 2 112's will be plenty, especially with PA support.

Unless you're playing with guys thaty "just want to play really loud"
    That was my case. For that I used 112 on top of 115, or, two 115's.

19. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Can't go wrong with Berg or Mesa. My top 2 makers out there right now.

20. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I used to play mine through a PH212. Sounded great. I now play it through an SVT410HE. Even better! YMMV

Dan