Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend a looper.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ElBajista, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm interested in getting a looper, specifically for home practice and recording.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good quality, user-friendly, low price looper with PC hookup capabilities.

The only lower-price loopers that I know of are the Boss looper and the Digitech Jamman. I've heard many good things about the Jamman and I've been leaning that way, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Can someone recommend a looper for someone with no prior experience with effects and such? Thanks!

-David

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How about a PC/software looper?

Slow Gold is excellent. But, you can essentially achieve looping with Audacity, which is - Free

:)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For low price, the Jamman and Boss RC-20 or RC-20XL are as good as you'll do and both are quite user-friendly, with the Jamman having a few advantages including the removable memory card to transfer to PC. I have an RC-20 that is hooked up through my amp/DI (which goes into my PC)), so I record them that way. RC-20s/RC-20XLs are more widely available on the used market because they've been around longer and are more widelly produced. I'll be selling my RC-20XL soon to put towards either a Looperlative or a similar multi-track looper.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good point! If you're main goal is practice and you don't need to loop on the fly, this is a good way to go. I do find myself using my looper over my recording programs for most anything other than really finished recordings though, because the looper tends to inspire a lot more, and allows you to record and overdub your ideas while you're having them, as opposed to going back and forth to your PC.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'd prefer a self-contained unit that I could either plug into the computer or play through an amp.

If I used that Audacity, how do I hook up my bass to the computer?

-David

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use the Digitech Jam Man,it has a very clear sound and once you get the hang of it,it's a blast :)

7. I'll endorse the Jamman too, best in it's size/price. I still have not outgrown the 128Mb card that came with it. (I do not store loops, but for a few at practice when I wish to remember a lick)

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The line in of the computer.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Don't I need some kind of adapter to do that?

something like a 1/4" to ____" adapter?

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're going to use a computer, a dedicated looping program such as Ambiloop will be much more efficient than Audacity.
    You can even command it with a MIDI controller.

11. Or my personal favorite software PC looper:
    www.zonemobius.com
    Hey I got rid of my EDP's in favor of it.
    Oh yeah and the price is hard to beat, free!
    Dirk

12. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i would go for the jam man, its got tap tempo, or you can just go for it if you dont want to mess with that, you can have infinite over dubs, you can change speed. it does everything i expected it to, and then more. i also use it to sample beats or backgrounds from songs i want to jam with, which is very cool

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
  14. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I downloaded Audacity, and later I plan on a trip to Radio-Shat for the adapter.

downloading Ambiloop now, just to compare the two.

Thanks for the help!

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you have a line-out on your preamp, run that into your PC. Many basses won't put out enough signal to work by plugging it alone into your PC.

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I was thinking about this, and luckily I can use the line-out of my B100R. I can't wait to get the adapter and start using these programs.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Give us a review of Ambiloop when you get a chance. I never heard of that one.

18. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ableton live is the ultimate computer-based looping solution...and they have nice discounts for students (for the students out there)

www.ableton.com

19. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm multi-instrumental and want to use a looper for a one-man show. I'd like to be able to have more than one instrument/mic hooked up to the looper. I also need to be able to delete or switch loops on the fly. For example, say I record a percussion track, then bass, the fiddle. Next, I want to keep the percussion and the fiddle, but want to remove the bass line and replace it with a new one. Do the RC-20XL, Boomerang, or Digitech Jamman have these capabilities? I'm under them impresson that you can remove individual layers from the whole loop with those 3 units. Are there any units which allow this?

Thanks.