1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a luthier in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kittyboy, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Nothing major, just need my sound post adjusted...

Suggestions?

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
  3. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You could also try Sara Balmforth or Tom Barrett. Tom spends half his year in Ireland, so he's not back until summer, but Sara is here all the time and is quite good.

4. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks you guys.

I also need a re-hair on my german bow.

Further recommendations/input? I've never had work done up here...

5. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Eric at Emerald City Guitars downtown is excellent, and there is the Mike Lull shop in Bellevue.

6. kittyboy

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Thud.

I'd like someone who at least specializes in URB, ideally someone who works on URB exclusively, ie, not bass guitars or perhaps even violins.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Not all who wander are lost...but some are.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I've seen Sara's set-up work and she's very good. I've also heard good things about The Bass Church. H-A does good work but they're usually backed up...

TROIKA?

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Does anyone have contact info for Sara Balmforth or Ken Larson? The link to Ken's website no longer works. Ken is in Edmonds? Where is Sara?

I'm looking to get a quote on installing bridge adjusters and maybe refitting the bass foot on a bridge. I emailed HA, but they won't give a quote unless I bring the bass in. I'd love to find a place that is closer (and cheaper) than HA.

10. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Aaron,
    If you are in Bellingham, I'd consider a short hop across the border to Jake. He does great work and is a hell of a nice guy. I'll look for Sarah's number (she is in North Seattle) and send it in a PM if you'd rather get the work done in down here.
    Cheers,
    John

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm pretty sure Crescent Beach is about 5 hours away from Bellingham. I have a regular gig about 5 minutes away from Sarah.

12. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Hey Aaron, Crescent Beach is about 25 minutes from Bellingham, not including border waits, but if you time it right the border can be 10 minutes. I'm in Bellingham about once a month for one reason or another.

Sarah's good too, I'm just sayin'... ;)

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Isn't there also a Crescent Beach on Okanagan Lake?

I'll have to stop by your shop in the future - I've been meaning to be a bit more active in the greater Vancouver area.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're ever down in Bellingham playing a show or hanging out. Lately, I've been playing shows in town most nights of the week with a wide variety of folks.

14. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Hey you're right, there is a Crescent Beach there! We're just north of White Rock on Boundary Bay, ten minutes from Blaine.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm in Semiahmoo about once a month -- which is a swim to White Rock.

16. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Well, swim on over and I'll make you a cup of coffee! ;)

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm playing Semiahmoo tomorrow, but I'm playing a long wedding before it. Making a trip is on my agenda, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have a whole day of free time this summer. Sometimes the border take 5 minutes, but it takes 1-2 hours just often enough that going into Canada really has to be a whole day commitment for me. Out of curiosity - would it be possible or likely to get a couple rib cracks patched during a day trip?

18. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    If they're cracks that I can get some linen onto through the f-holes, I don't see why not.

The border is reliably quick in the middle of the day, the rest of the time I use these handy websites: Northbound - WSDOT Canadian Border Traffic - I-5: Peace Arch Park and Southbound - Government of British Columbia - Border Crossing Advanced Traveller Information System

All that said, I'm usually at Long & McQuade on Fridays and Saturdays... ;)