1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a rack enhancement.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by frederikolafsen, Feb 17, 2008.

1. frederikolafsen

frederikolafsen

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi all. I have a Fender Standard Jazz Bass (soon to upgrade to an American). I play it through an Ampeg SVT3-Pro into a Sunn 4x10. Anyway, I enjoy the sound of the amp and cab, but my rack unit has one more space to fill and I would love to fill it with something that gives me more punch while keeping or adding to the great tone. Right now my rack only has a power conditioner, drawer, and tuner. A lot of people have mentioned the BBE Sonic Maximizer, Aphex Xciter, and various compressors. But I really want something that I can run that will add a lot of punch. A bassist that I would love to sound like is Mass Giorgini from Common Rider. Their album "This is Unity Music is a GREAT example of the tone that I want. If anyone could be of help and make a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Sonic Maximizer is quite useful, and it would give you a better defined tone. Not sure about punch, but check one out, if you can.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you tried a compressor yet? Everyone has a different idea about "punch", but I certainly get plenty of what I think of as "punch" from compression. Right now the punchiest rack ones I have are the Aphex 651 and the dbx 160XT; both are old and discontinued, but can be found for not too much $$ on Ebay.

4. frederikolafsen

frederikolafsen

Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent, and thanks for the quick replies. I have thought about a compressor as well, but I honestly don't understand them that well. It has always sounded to me like they take away from your sound rather than add to it. Also, I should mention, I am trying to stay below $200. You guys are giving great advice, I really appreciate this.

5. You should do some research and learn what a compressor does because it's important. The electric bass on every professional record you have ever listened to was put through some kind of compression (seriously). Check out the links in Bongo's profile to learn more about what compression does. There are other resources on the net that can tell you more or tell you the same things a different way if you need more information. Harmony Central is another place to look. I think a compressor sounds like the right choice for your open rack space. A compressor used improperly can be bad for your tone but so can any audio device.

I also recommend you don't get a Sonic Maximizer. I have not used one personally but as a professional sound engineer I wince every time I see one in a musicians rack. They are supposed to "phase align frequency's." What I hear come out of them is a midrange scoop which does pronounce the low end but also makes the high end shrill and pretty much kills you in a live mix. Other people will disagree with me but there's my opinion for you.

6. frederikolafsen

frederikolafsen

Feb 17, 2008
    I definitely appreciate your honesty. I have actually used a compressor before while recording, but that is all the time I have ever had with one and the producer was controlling it so I didn't get to play with it much. I will check out the links for sure. Thanks again!

7. +1

8. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
  9. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear that theres some good doctors on your area that can help. I think Pam an went to one near you.

:ninja: Come on, You knew that was coming.