1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a mid priced fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayershane, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I am looking for opinions on the best fretless I can get for around AU$1250 (US$1100 ish!). I am after something that has the growl and warmth of a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 - 5 (friend is endorsed by them and has a custom built Stage 1 - 5 fretless. LOVE IT!!!). Obviously the Warwick would be great but as I wouldn't use it all of the time, I can't see the point in spending that much on a fretless. I was thinking maybe a MIM Jazz or Cort B5. Would even be happy to get a well built bass which has average electronics which I could change for Nordstrands or Barts. Any ideas?!!!

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm reading tons of praise here for the SX (Rondo) and Squier's. Not even mid-priced, they're downright cheap.

3. +1 on the Squier thing. I have one that is way better than it has a right to be at the price and loaded with Nordstrands it would be really good.

4. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    You mentioned the Cort Artisan B5FL. I have a B4 (fretted), and for the money, they're incredible. They come with Barts PUs & Pre, but my understanding is that it's a Bart design manufactured in Korea. They sound good, but an upgrade couldn't hurt.

I'm not sure how difficult/expensive they'd be on your side of the Earth, but over here a passive Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless 5 would be in your price range if you get a deal. Greg from RocketMusic.net usually has great prices on Warwicks, but I'm not sure if he ships internationally. He's around here, so you can PM him (I think his name is RocketMusic).

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Shouldn't this be in the basses forum ?

BTW - if the OP is looking at mid-range instruments and he's in OZ - why would someone recommend SX or Squire ? I mean - you guys don't actually think those instruments will stand against a K-buck plus something or other do ya ?

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I believe Warwick budget brand 'Rockbass' may make a fretless streamer or corvette that may get you close to the signature warwick sound. Obviously they don't use the same tonewoods, but it may still get you close.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What ever you do - don't try a Rob Allen - or you'll be increasing your budget .... the MB-2 inspires un-Christian thoughts of the coveting variety in me every time I play one...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021