1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a tuner for extreme downtuning

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shibaku, Sep 4, 2017.

1. shibaku

shibaku

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys,

My bands new songs are downtuned to F# and we are going to play them live for the first time. The problem is however, my boss tu-3 does not allow me to tune my bass properly that low. I currently use my guitarists axefx to tune and it picks it up perfectly. but i'm in need of a stagetuner for myself.

I live in The Netherlands, i've read about the sonic turbo ST300 but if possible i'd rather buy something that is available here.

FYI i play a ibanez srff805 with custom strings and it plays perfectly and sounds pretty tight. I just need a stagetuner :)

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Stupid question, but do you tune using the 12th fret harmonic? That should be picked up by any tuner without much problems.

I use a Korg Pitchblack personally.

3. shibaku

shibaku

Jul 3, 2013
    Honestly, as stupid as it sounds that actually never even crossed my mind. i'
    ll try that in a bit and see how it works out.

However i'd still be in need of a second/new tuner soon because i'm lazy and I don't wanna keep switching my pedalboard for my other bands :p

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    my tech 21 mini tuner has done G well for me. Also, it helps when you solo the bridge pickup and hit the 12th harmonic.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    A regular snark works great for me on downtuned bass, though I'm only going down to A. Ibby too - SR506 - and kalium strings.

6. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 GNSRZRSKNVS Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    My HardWire HT-6 does F# with no issues. But I can't see why with proper strings it should be a problem for any decent tuner.

7. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tune to G# C# G# C#, and use the classic Boss tuner at the end of my chain and its always worked fine. Signal chain is P pickup > cheap compressor > OCD drive > high-pass filter cutting everything under 40 hz > tuner. So long as I strike the string gently and mute the rest, it tunes down to the lowest G# on a .140 gauge string.