recommend me an overdrive..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by groooooove, Jun 7, 2021.

1. looking for something pretty specific.

1. does not need a clean blend to have big low end. (having one is fine, but needing it is not!)
    2. true OD, low to mid-gain range. little dirt. obviously, having more is fine, but i need a mid-gain true overdrive.
    3. something that when engaged there is no "mid scoop" feeling. if anything a throaty mid range punch (cut through mix) is a good thing.

closest thing i've come across is my tried and true old VT bass.

anything come to mind? budget in the $150 or so range, flexible depending on what is out there, but cheaper is obviously better.

was hoping to find a modified tube screamer circuit but they all seem to be only "modified" with a clean blend.

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Try Hooker's Green Bass Machine by One Control. Great sound and feel. Not well-loved on TalkBass, but in my opinion it is a classic bass guitar pedal.

I have played and can vouch for only the original 3-knob version; but I assume that the new 4-knob version simply moves the bass EQ control to the top of the pedal.

3. CSJBuzz

CSJBuzz

Mar 10, 2021
    Ohio
    I use an Electro-Harmonix Bass Soul Food and I love it. Does both clean boost and dirt. MSRP is $102. Check it out at www.ehx.com.

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Matt Dean, cusar5 and rratajski like this.
  5. Renegade bass

Renegade bass

Nov 2, 2020
    Yup plus one here I have that and I love it. A pretty much always on pedal on my board.

NoSlapForYou and gitfiddl like this.
  6. The Xotic Bass BB Preamp is one of my favourites, and it happens to be a modified tubescreamer :thumbsup:

Really good at low and mid gain, doesn't need a clean blend, and can get a nice "pushed mids" thingy by backing down the bass and treble controls. It might be slightly over your budget new, but I believe it can be found for around that price second-hand.

SteveFromBerlin and groooooove like this.
  7. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    After going through at least 30 OD/dirt pedals (and 10 fuzz pedals, but that's another story), my go to at this point is the Fulltone OCD. Just the right amount of dirt

gregmon79 and groooooove like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Really enjoying Spaceman Apollo VII. I also love the Wampler Pantheon which is a BB style but more versatile than most.
    Just got a Browne Protein so I can basically toss out all my dozens of ODs.

9. HoochfromParis

HoochfromParis

Jan 14, 2013
    Just going to practice with a combination of Broughton Locust Star and an Amptweaker Tightdrive JR. Both have mid bump, LS is on gritty punchy side of overdrive (no-diodes position), Amptweaker is great for low-mid amp-like saturation. Pairing and stacking these either with SVT (SV-Pre) and Bassman (Super Stack) is really nice at home, hope i'll get same results with my mates !

10. this seems to be what i'm looking for.

the green bass machine also looks cool, and theres one in our classifieds. i'm weary of a few reviews/posts saying it's a little too dark, though. I'd like a little grind and a little clank.

thanks for all the replies. gonna have to sort through all of this later today and pick one.

11. TC Spark Booster might fit the bill. Full size version that is.

12. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    spaceman saturn VI. ive tried 10's of overdrives like you mentioned, and that ended my search. the TC spark booster was close

geof_, jw23mind and dedpool1052 like this.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The VT Bass is great for that -- as I'm sure you already know you can avoid mid scoop by keeping Character at noon, and get mid punch by turning clockwise. You no longer have it?

Idiotbox pedals are nicely priced. I love the Blower Box (RAT variant), but there are plenty of others that'll fit your budget.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I repeat myself( probably do not get out enough...); Barbershop...again...;)

15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm really happy with my Bearfoot Blueberry OD. It can go from mild grit (which I really like) to insane (which I never use, but it's nice to know it's there).

wncBass, Cazman and monsterthompson like this.
  16. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Once again a great use case for a Durham Sexdrive

Rich67 likes this.
  17. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Another vote for the Xotic Bass BB Pre- I've had one on and off my board for years now, because it really does have a unique sound to it that cuts well. It does have its own voice, though, even though it keeps the low end intact. This may not be your thing if you're after a truly transparent overdrive.

I've also been liking the ZVEX Basstortion lately. It's dead nuts simple (volume, tone, gain, and a bright switch) but it sounds good with minimal fuss and has a nice throaty grind to it. Tubey, but not necessarily ampeg-ish. It seems pretty transparent for me, or at least more so than the Xotic.

That being said, neither of those work for my needs on my modern sounding five string, which has a lot of low bass content that gets tightened up no matter how I set them. For a run-of-the-mill Fender four string, though, they're plenty low.

18. Collin Lyle

Collin Lyle Why not? Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2018
    I'm partial to the SolidGoldFX Beta for what you're talking about.

19. eliascalles

eliascalles Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mexico
    I'm using an EHX crayon as my mild OD and it's working well for that.

guitarflinger and gitfiddl like this.
  20. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    EHX Hot Wax. It's two overdrive pedals in one! Set one for low gain and the other for medium gain. The Crayon side is identical to Xotic BB, a tubescreamer derivative. My only complaint with the pedal are the footswitches make the loudest KLUNK of any footswitch I've ever encountered.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021