recommend me an overdrive..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by groooooove, Jun 7, 2021.

1. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I'll second the Saturn VI. With the caveat that it has a HP frequency around 50 Hz, so well controlled sub-bass IMO. The VT Bass is hard to beat though, and more flexible with EQ of course.

groooooove likes this.
  2. that's a really, really cool pedal. wish i had a better demo on bass... sounds very musical though.

3. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2017
    South Jersey
    DarkGlass Vintage Microtubes. Has a blend knob and has great sounding mid OD.

deff and Kerem Koseoglu like this.
  4. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I prefer Bachman-Turner.

Billy Bob Bass, Jxff and AlexanderB like this.
  5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    V4b

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I totally get why people love pedals with a wide range of dirt level. That can make it a really useful pedal. However, I use only low to maybe mid gain OD, so I kind of like a low gain OD pedal that doesn't get THAT dirty so I have finer control within the range that I'll actually use.

Within the parameters you set, I own and can recommend:
    - One Control Hooker's Green Bass Machine. I like the OD flavor, it doesn't get too dirty, and the Treble knob helps balance between a warmer and darker tone and a having a sharper grit and more articulation.
    - EHX Bass Soul Food - This one has generally been despised by most TBers, but I've always liked mine. I suspect that some who hate it bought it because it's relatively inexpensive without knowing what it's designed for, then blamed it for not being a high enough gain pedal.
    - Ampeg Scrambler - I think I'm in the minority but I find it similar to the Bass Soul Food, but with more gain range. FWIW, I strongly prefer its tone with gain below about 2:00 than above 2:00. I think it's too harsh beyond that point.
    - Spaceman Saturn VI - This is a little beyond your $150 limit but I love this one. It's the only one of the pedals I mentioned that's on my board now and it's battling my [sfx] Micro Red Dragon as my favorite low gain OD. I use it as my always on tone with the boost at around 1:00, drive at about 10:00, and the tone set to taste, usually 11:00 to 1:00. Even with my Stingray and L-2500, the dirt level is fairly mild at those settings but it’s enough to add a pleasing warmth.
    - [sfx] Micro Red Dragon - I'm only mentioning it here because I referenced it above. They've been discontinued for quite a while and don't pop up for sale very often. I got mine for $95 but I was extremely lucky to get it for that price. The last one i saw was $250 and the seller eventually pulled the ad for it.
    - Any Blueberry variant that you find under $150. There are many of them and they seem to have their own subtle tweaks to differentiate them. I have a One Control Blackberry, a Bearfoot FX Blueberry, and a One Control Queen Bee and that's in preference order. The Body (mids) control on the Blackberry is what makes that one my favorite version so far. I think the Body knob could help you get that mid range punch you said you were looking for, but listen to demos for this pedal to see what you think. IIRC, the center frequency for the Body might be a little low for you, around 250 Hz. Gonna be tough to find a Blueberry under $150, but you can easily find a Queen Bee in your price range and you might be able to find a used Blackberry for $150. However, I bought a brand new Blackberry from Primo FX a couple of weeks ago for only $159 (regularly $219)
    - TC Electronic MojoMojo - Very versatile, I love it on bass with the gain under about noon, but it has more gain than I need. So it's on a guitar board right now. VERY reasonably priced - $50-ish - and effective bass and treble controls.

Here are a couple I never tried (but would like to) but should fit your criteria:
    - TC Electronic Spark Booster
    - SolidGoldFX Beta

EDITED: Clarified a few things.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  7. I echo the EHX recommendations, especially the Hot Wax. For me. it's easy to get an appropriate amount of dirt for any application.

8. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I like the idiotbox blower box at lower gain settings. I really prefer the midrange character of rat style drives. They have this unique crunchy compression thing going on.

SteveFromBerlin and groooooove like this.
  9. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    I like the EHX Bass Soul Food. I saw a couple other people mention it. It's not overly aggressive with its dirt.

gitfiddl likes this.
  10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I've got one of these on the way.
    They finally got'em back in stock at Sweetwater.
    At $70, I figured why not.

dave64o and BeauZooka like this.
  11. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I've got a trunk full of OD pedals and the best one I found is a SansAmp YYZ. It is designed to produce the Geddy Lee sound with a jazz bass. It can however, give you anything from Studio Tube to heavy metal. You can also place the distortion in the top end or the bottom end to varying degrees. Very flexible

jw23mind likes this.
  12. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    The Damnation Audio MBD-2 is what you seek... thick and juicy, before you even turn up the CLEAN, or DEPTH knob... but when you do... hang on.

Can do barely dirty, to melt off your eyelids..

A Mid switch to boost, or dip

:thumbsup: .. you're welcome

deff and groooooove like this.
  13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ahhhh crap. I finally have three nice ODs that I really liked on my board and tuned just perfectly for our song list. I really don't wanna start futzing with another one right now. But for $70, I guess I'll soon find out if I'm just an other weak gear hound or if I'm truly the ....

61ss9B7fz2L._AC_UX395_.jpg

:laugh:

groooooove and dedpool1052 like this.
  14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    So you ordered one, too?
    :D

15. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    No, but the day ain’t over yet. :D

16. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Check out the Bearfoot Queen Beest, a BBOD with treble and mid controls. I have its precursor, the Queen Bee, which has the treble but not the mid control, and it ended a similar search for me. Before finding the Queen Bee my go-to was Fulltone OCD for mild/medium grit into an original VT Bass for simulated “pushed tube amp” vibe + some low end makeup. The QB gets me in that ballpark with a far smaller footprint.

groooooove and dave64o like this.
  17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    That's the spirit!

dave64o likes this.
  18. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    It's a little above the listed price range, but it is excellent and quite sonically malleable. I personally like it best for harmonically-rich grind and light hair, which is where I think it excels, though it remains usable and useful throughout the full range of gain.

I will add that, at this moment, I actually just use the bass power amp model in my Darkglass Element for this purpose (harmonics and a little hair).

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  19. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Nobels ODR-1, or its more reliable copy, the Visual Sound Open Road

groooooove likes this.
  20. Fat Fret

Fat Fret

Apr 22, 2008
    Scandinavia
    TC Electronics MojoMojo; so cheap that you actually gets payed when buying it..

mdesjardins68 and jw23mind like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021