1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend Me My First 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Livewire, May 18, 2011.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a 5 string bass. Been playing for about 8 years, starting some new projects and would like the option of a B string in the mix. I don't want to spend more than $400USD at the moment. I've been looking at the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5, and Rondomusic doesn't have any 5'ers in stock that catch my attention... I have no problem changing pickups in the future if the stock pickups are lacking, so with that said, recommend me my first 5 string!

2. Depends on what kind of sound you want. Squiers are usually a good choice, since they're pretty good quality for the price. I would also recommend Ibanez, they make solid five-strings for a good price.

3. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    2nd the Ibanez suggestion. Loving my SR505. Note: the older Korean models have slightly different controls and a slightly chunkier (still super comfy) neck. The newer Indonesian models have a flat, very smooth neck.

4. G-Rant

G-Rant

Oct 21, 2007
    Ottawa
    Hi there,
    I would suggest either...

Ibanez SR405 or SR505
    Peavey Millenium or Cirrus BXP

All are excellent all around instruments with great construction, some nice options and good sound. I started my 5-string career on an Ibanez SR and played it for 5 or 6 years before "moving up".

Also, you should keep an eye out on sites like TalkBass and Kijiji for great deals on used instruments. You could likely land a really nice, used 5-string that would otherwise be out of your price range.

Cheers. Let us know what you end up with!

5. Yamaha BB series basses

6. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    There are a couple of inexpensive Lakland 55-01s on the classifieds. (assuming you are comfortable with 35 inch scale).

7. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    At that price point I'd go Ibanez as well. Definitely go play a bunch of things in a music store and find what's comfortable.

8. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Squier DAJV. have it, love it, rock it nearly daily these days

photo4.

$329 brand new from the local mom & pop.

9. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I would either get the Squier you already mentioned or go with an Ibanez as others have already suggested. The Ibanez has a slimmer neck and tighter string spacing if you don't mind that. If you want string spacing more like a 4 string and don't mind a wider neck the Squier might be more of what you're looking for.

10. I just went through the "My First 5-string" thing a few months ago!!

Best advice... go out and try things! What works for one TB'er may not work for you, and vice-versa. I got a ton of reccomendations for a Squier active 5'er. I played one, and it sounded great... but the neck was just uncomfortable with me. I loooooove Peavey, but the Dyna 5, Foundation 5, and Cirrus 5 i tried also weren't for me. Then i got to the Ibanezes, and in a sea of SR's, i found a shining beacon... the 1-year run wunderbass... The Ibanez CT. I snagged it for about $330, and i am in total love with it!!

2011-03-27_16-27-04_588.

TL;DR - Go try as many 5'ers as you can!!!