1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me some heavy gauge flatwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Markpotato, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Luthier, Sorrentino Guitars
    Who makes good sounding flatwound strings in heavier than normal gauges? I wanted to go with Thomastik Infeld but the bass (5 string fretless) will be tuned a whole step down and I suspect the low strings might be flabby with this tuning. If not, please correct me.

I want some quality flats that don't sound like garbage. I think Thomastik Infelds sound incredible compared to Daddario Chromes, which I think sound like mud.

Bass is to be made with 34" scale unless I'd be better off making it 35".

2. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Rotosounds. Highest tension flatwound out there.

Zos Kia Cultus likes this.
  3. +1 for rotosounds. I use a pair of the .130 flats on my warwick, love em!

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    LaBella are stiff. the 0760M (Jamerson set) is 52-73-95-110, and they also make it for 5 string basses.

adamsmatthewj likes this.
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
  6. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    I have a set of LaBella Jamersons that I occasionally put on a Pbass and tune DGCF

The gauge is big and the tension is high, they really excel for de-tuning! Super funky bootylicious tone

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    LaBella

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The labella jamersons are heavy even when tuned DGCF. They're gonna sound great, but they're still very stiff. The 49-109 set should work well.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    WebStrings has Detroit Flats in heavy gauge, also. Great price, lots of bottom, too.
    Don't know if they'll fit all 35"s, tho- drop 'em an email.

10. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    If you want super heavy and stiff, go for the Steve Harris Signature Rotos 77s. The gauge is 50-75-95-110. I love them, but they're definitely not everyone's cup of tea. They're like playing rebar. :D