1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendation for E to go with Zyex G,D,A

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rodney Shuffler, Jul 29, 2012.

1. My 37 AS is just a tad too long to use the E Zyex (winding extends over nut to fingerboard) but I still wanna try them on this bass. Any suggestions for an E that would work well with Zyex strings?
    Thanks in advance......my thought was to Evah Pirazzi Weich, I've used these a good while on other basses and liked them. I always wound up using a medium E with weich A,D,G. I've not touched a Thomastik Spirocore in near 10 years, that was a thought...I'm kinda out of the loop on the latest/greatest.
    Thanks again.

2. I am using a Spiro Weich E...with a medium Zyex G.
    I also have a Spiro Weich A and D. The whole combination works very well for so I think the Weich E would also work well with your Zyex strings.

3. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    I used spiro medium E and A with zyex G and D when my zyex lowers started to lose power. The combination was very balanced. I've no doubt a spiro medium E would work well with zyex. Evahs would also make sense, but I have no experience with those strings and can't comment.

4. LBeeC

LBeeC

Nov 22, 2011
    D'Addario came out with a 4/4 scale Zyex E for basses with your issue, Rodney. It just came out in July, so you might have to have your local shop order it directly.

5. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    HAY Rodney,

Aaron (my son) got a set of these for his King bass and had the same issue. His short term fix was to just unwind a bit of the fabric wrap on the E string, near the nut.

I've got them on one of my AStandards right now and plan on doing the same thing. It's only extending about 1/4 inch past the front of the nut.

Good to meet you during the festival in Morganton.

6. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    A Spiro E is always a good choice. Compare the specs of the particular Zyex string you are using, since D'addario does publish them, then you can go to the T-I website and choose a complimentary E string. Remember that the 4/4 strings will have just a tad less tension than stated on your 42 inch AS scale, and the 3/4 strings will have just a tad more.