1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a DAW on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kristian Street, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kristian Street

Kristian Street

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi everybody!

I am looking for a DAW for my Windows 10 powered PC.
    First off, I have hardly any experience with DAWs. I have toyed a little bit with Ableton 9 and Logic, and whilst I did not fully understand either of them due the little amount of time spent, I enjoyed Logic, and would hope to get something somewhat similar to that. It seemed, well, logic, and I also found the interface very pleasing to look at.
    Unfortunately, Logic is only avaible on Mac devices, thus I need your help. What are your recommendations?
    Firstly, what I hope to get is a DAW in which I can mess around with different sounds and inputs like that of Logic's amp modulator. I usually play with a very distorted sound, and would hope the DAW would accommodate that. Secondly, it'd be great if it can work for home recording studio sessions. And third, if the program would be somewhat convenient in file-sharing with a Mac running and editing in Logic (the two guitarists of my band are both running this).

FYI, I own a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface

I hope all of the above - or at least most of it - made sense.

Cheers guys.

2. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    As always I'd recommend checking out Tracktion (Tracktion Music Production Software | single screen music editing DAW) which doesn't cost much, is cross platform and has a really nice workflow. A great beginners DAW, simple to get going but fully professional so you don't need to switch later on.

File sharing with Logic will always pose a problem, because the DAWs all have proprietary project file formats. So what you will need to do (not just in Tracktion but in all applications) is to export raw WAV files and import them in Logic.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Tracktion is a great DAW! It has a simple intuitive and unique workflow.

The 2i4 comes with Ableton Live lite, and some SoftTube plug ins. Be sure to check them out.
    All DAWs I know of have some starter version to try.

If you've got a group of friends start with what they're using. Check out the training available, the site videos, what's on youtube
    Check out the forums and FAQ

It's worth it to learn a couple of DAWs so you can understand what actually differentiates them. Much is the same. Or you may find yourself really liking some of the unique features a particular DAW has.

4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    How are you editing? Just WAVs or Session files? If it is WAVs, you just need a Stem export function. I really like StudioOne on windows 10.

Badwater, Whousedtoplay and svtb15 like this.
  5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I am WIN 10 , 16gig RAM, Two 2T HDs DAW Presonus Studio One 3.2 Pro

I run a home studio for myself to cut bass tracks and for some close friends to come over to do their stuff if they want..
    I started on Cakewalk then migrated to Protools, only because every studio was using protools.. I hated it. . I still hate protools. I dont like the work flow or the way that it looks visually.
    So i migrated to Sonar for a year then Nuendo with a demo for a couple of months. Nuendo was the best of those..
    .. ..
    The past few years I have been using Presonus Studio One and just upgraded to Studio One 3.2 Professional DAW.. For me it is the fastest set up to go and get it done out of all of the ones that i used to use .
    The professional version that has great stock instruments included and plugins. I have a few 3rd party plugins.. But tsh stock stuff is already great.. I already have great Mic Pre amps API, NEVE and REDDI and an RME converter. I will NEVER go back to protools again.
    Home | PreSonus Studio One

Badwater, AndreasR and Whousedtoplay like this.
  6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm very happy with Cubase Artist. Not sure what iteration they're up to now, but I use Artist 6. It has everything I need to record what I want, and then I send the files off to someone who knows what they're doing for mixing.

7. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Pretty much any modern DAW will work fine with Windows 10. I rock Reaper (REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits), which has a technically indefinite free trial period where you can use all features on the DAW for as long as you want.

Teijo K. likes this.
  8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've just upgraded my Studio One Artist to Studio One Pro.
    I really like it!

Badwater, AndreasR and svtb15 like this.
  9. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    Reaper.fm

TheArchitect likes this.
  10. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I recently switched to Presonus as well. The pro version is great. Very nice work flow and great features.

svtb15 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  11. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    I love Mixcraft, been using it since version 3. It's considered the "GarageBand of Windows." Easy to use, cheap, and you spend more time making music.

Reaper is also good.. Cubase LE came with my new interface, so I still have to try it out

armybass likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I'd recommend Reaper, it has a free trial period of 60 days, and after that you can buy a full lisence for 60$, although you are able to continue to use it for free without any limitations and still update to never versions.

Also it has as many features as any fully priced DAW.

In my opnnion on a lot of points it's even easier to use and have more logical user interface than a lot of full priced DAWs.

Personally I recently converted to Reaper from using Cubase 5.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    TheArchitect likes this.
  13. I agree with svtb15 - don't care for ProTools- personally I use Sonar, and find it very comprehensive, great MIDI support, but steep learning curve, for sure (I suspect that the learning curve for most is likely the toughest thing about the recording process). Have heard great things about Studio One, and of course, Logic, but I am pretty sure that Logic requires Mac - no Windows support, yet. My 2 cents

Regards,

svtb15 likes this.