Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommended combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by princeadr, Apr 29, 2005.

1. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    I am considering buying a bass combo to play with a hobby group that plays mostly 60s-80s rock and some blues. What would people recommend. Based on my research I think I probably need around 300 watts of power. Am looking at Yorkville XS400, Ampeg BA500, and Peavey BAM 210 but am open to suggestions. Also considering a Peavey Mag 450 head with some kind of Avatar cabinet. I would like to keep the whole rig under $900 or as cheap as I can get it for! Any suggestions to someone who sold an Ampeg amp and Hofner bass over 30 years ago. I've played some guitar since then some but am just now getting back into bass.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There is a BAM for sale right now here in the TB classifieds. You aren't going to find a better combo for that price. The guy selling it is a good guy too.

After that, I would say an Eden Metro. I owned one for a while, and I loved it. It gave me zero problems, and always sounded good. I really miss it, but it was just too much power for my little coffeehouse gig.

-Mike

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm not a combo guy at all... but I wouldnt hesitate to pick up an Eden Metro or Mesa Walkabout if I was.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The Peavey BAMs are awesome combos. If not one of those, then I second the Eden Metro suggestion.

5. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    mj5150- Where are the TB classifieds? Also since these combos are in the 95-100 lb. weight range I'm wondering if I would be better off with separate head and cabinet for moving purposes? And does anyone know how reliable the bells and whistles (amp modeling features) of the BAM 210 are? I'm not sure how much I would use them but I would like them to work for experimentation purposes at least. Any more feedback on the Yorkville xs400? I know they are hard to come by in my area (midwest-Ohio).

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The TB classifieds are at the bottom of the page of forums. Here is a direct link to the combo for sale: Peavey BAM

Some guys opt for the seperates for the weight issue associated with a combo. Some guys prefer that all the weight is in one box. I liked my Metro since it was just one box on wheels I had to move around. It is nice to walk in for a gig, plug in your bass and start playing.

-Mike

7. Ashdown MAG210-300???? Great combo and great price. My 2 cents..

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've owned a BAM 210 since January and I assure it's the king of reliability, it's a Peavey after all. And the models are really tight sounding, I like them a lot but stick to one or two sounds for the most part. While it's very heavy, it's a lot easier to move around than my Avatar 410 and one of my various amp heads since it's one compact unit that can be carried chest high and it has wheels once you're outside. I believe they're discontinuing the model so get one while you can, you won't regret it. There's just nothing quite like a BAM, especially if you play a 5 string, because it's so damned versatile and you can get essentially any tone you want out of it by switching amp and cabinet models and then playing with the very versatile EQ section. Go for it, you shall not regret it.

9. I'm almost your same situation and also looking for advise.

Been using a GK Backline 150. Worked fine with computer backup, but won't keep up with a live drummer and a wildman guitarist with a Marshal half-stack.

Tried a GK 700RBII/210. Great sound, love the handle & wheels setup, but it's expensive.

Been looking at some Carvins (specifically the RC-210) online. Wish I could play one first though.

Does anyone have any experience with Carvin bass amps? :help:

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Yorkville is my suggestion. The 400 is reliable, sounds great and has plenty of headroom. Prices are good too and the 2 year "even if you break it warranty" is a real plus.

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Try the new Backline 210 combo. 180 watts at eight ohms, 300 at four. It combines the new Backline 600 head with the new 210BLX-II speaker cabinet. It may be what you're looking for.

I think a Mesa Walkabout or Venture (if you want more power) would be great for a combo if you like the tube sound.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good call!

The Walkabout Scout is an outstanding little combo (45 lbs and 300 watts!!), but it's about $200 out of your price range.

I would also second the Peavey BAM. I have a Peavey Microbass and the reliability is outstanding. Fender Bassman's aren't too bad either.

13. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I'd recommend the Yorkville too.. I've heard alot of great responses from other players locally.. I have the 200 watt version which I'm selling and Ilike it, but don't need it..

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    don't know the price and haven't played it myself, but I was able to hear the new kustom 3x10 combo tonight and it sounded great

I think it's within your price range, if not they also have a 2x10 and a 1x15 which should be within your range

15. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Haven't seen the Kustoms being sold anywhere and I have no idea what kind of prices they are asking for those combos. Is there any place on the Web that has them?

16. I don't have any experience with the others, but the Yorkville xs400 is great. I use it with 2 guitarists with marshall 4x10's (or is it 12's?), and a loud double kick/huge setup drummer and it cuts through pretty well. Gets a nice growl if you want it. Before I had my ME-50B I'd run the amp at about volume 8 or 9, but now with the patches I've set up on the ME050B it's more like 6, and it cuts through pretty well. It's borrowed for now, so I'm building a 4x10 cabinet and I'm picking up an xs800H tonite for a price that can't be beat!

FWIW where I work I've also got a Yorkville KB200 keyboard amp, and a bunch of Y115 speakers. I'm ususally pretty impressed with Yorkvilles stuff. It's Canadian too and I like that.

17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12.

I have only good things to say about it. LLarge and small gigs, portability, sound, reliability.

PM me if you want more info.

Pete

18. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Genz Benz NEO 400 combo with a GK NEO 1x12 (if needed) underneath does it for me. Light and powerful. Light light light and major tone.

19. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    I finally decided to go with a separate head and cab rather than a combo. Yorkville is hard to come by. I tried the XS400 with a 15" speaker and it sounded pretty good and it was compact. I think it had a few more bells and whistles than I know how to manage at this point. For the same price I was able to get a Peavey Max 450 and an Avatar 212 cab. It has 50 more watts into the 4ohm cab than the Yorkville which has 250 in the combo (can go up to 400 with an extra cabinet). I think the 2 12" speakers have a bigger sound and if I truly need more volume I think I will go with a different head in the future but I think this setup might last as long as I intend to play (probably 5-6 years at most). Haven't used it in a band setting yet but in the bedroom it seems to be pretty loud and clean. It also has quite a few different tones, maybe not THE TONE for purists but I think it will work for me. I like the 5 year warranty on the Peavey head as well. It includes some kind of protection circuitry so I can't be really stupid with it as well. I'll report back how it sounds with the group once I play a few times. Over and out!

20. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    J.T. Chester: I'd like to make the same recommendation for you (from your G.A.S. list) and PRINCEADR. Try taking a look at the Eden Nemesis 2x10 (NC210) combo. Older versions were 200 watts @ 4 ohms, newer ones are 250 watts. Depending on what condition your back is in, it may be an alternative to a 97lb BAM 210. I've used a Nemesis 2x10 combo for about 6-7 years as my standard "small" amp and its 48 lbs means its manageable and easier on the back. Its capable of good volume; I use it with both double bass and electric bass and it has a great sound, even with 5-string basses. I've never had a problem with it and I do up to six gigs a week.

Although I've not used Carvin's bass amps, I do have a DCM1500 power amp driven by an Eden WP100 preamp for gigs where I need that kind of power/flexibility. The power amp doesn't seem to have a roll-off curve in its frequency response down to 30 Hz. Very powerful on a good low B-string using a speaker cab capable of producing a fundamental that low. Zero problems with that setup in the three years I've used it.