1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommended stomp box compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bgwatts, Mar 13, 2008.

1. What do you recommend for a stomp box compressor? I don't want a rack mount. This is a small , simple rig. I will get used on a Godin thinline acoustic bass. Should I re-post on the double -bass side of the board? The bass sounds a lot more like an upright than an electric solid body.
    Thanks.

2. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    lol. its a lil box you can find called "search", it sounds awesome imho

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    EBS Multicomp.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Demeter Compulator is the only stomp compressor I'd use. Subtle, not squishy. But oh, so good.

Check out the compressor review thread mentioned above.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Demeter is awesome, but pricey for what it does. The Punch Factory and BBE Opto Stomp are much cheaper and work almost as well. I had issues with my Compulator distoring on the low B string. I would have kept it if it weren't for this. The PF and BBE didn't do this.

The EBS seems to be in a class all by itself IMO. Just fantastic in so many ways. I wouldn't want to be without one of these every.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    TRex Squeezer is my answer. Got a bad review from Bongo, but to me it's perfect, if not a bit expensive. Also liked the Ehx Black Finger, but it was a bit noisy.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Did you try adjusting the input trim pot (accessed through a little hole in the side of the unit)?

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yes. These were low-ouput basses also. I loved the Compulator until I ran into that, and then I just became leary of it. It was great for 4 string as long as you are after the effect that an optical compressor provides.