Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by xv_in_nocal, Aug 25, 2004.

1. xv_in_nocal

xv_in_nocal

Aug 16, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Can anyone suggest the easiest way to record my bass on both the left + right side? I currently plug my bass directly to the line input of my sound card and can only get it to record on the left side. I use a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable. Thanks in advance.

2. xv_in_nocal

xv_in_nocal

Aug 16, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I figured out a way to mix it down in Cakewalk and now the finished product now works on both speakers. Is there an adapter that might help?

3. my best guess would be to buy a little 4 or 2 channel mixer.

Does Cakewalk have options to record in stereo?

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't think so, since you're starting with a mono signal. I've never played with Cakewalk (I use Apple's GarageBand), but is there a way to tell Cakewalk the incoming signal is mono? I do this in GarageBand and it automagically records to both L & R.

5. Yes you can set up either mono or stereo tracks in Sonar and ProAudio 9 - I don't remeber if older verson can do stereo in one Cakewalk track or not but if you're using one of those older versions I'd recommend upgrading to AT LEAST 9 'casue that's where it all started working correctly (not all probolems were Twelve Tone's fault - remember this is a Windows applicaton)

re: mon to stereo the thing to remember is that a "Y" adapter (and you can them for PC sound cards) will result in half of your output signal going left and the other half going right (man I was stung by a scorpion last night and my _left_ hand just isn't working DANG can't play bass or type on the keyboard). So by halving te signal you need to up the volume and then you get NOIZ that you probalby don't want in your track. Record in MONO then use the software to doulbe your track.

Freaky is right, a decent mixer will increase the signal going to the PC so you can have 2 MONO signals going to the PC (make your hard drive work for it's lunch)

signal costs money - noise is free

6. audioripple

audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
    :D

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    OK, this thread is where I read that tidbit. Much wisdom in that tidbit, Zlartibartfast. :)

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If it's only coming out of one speaker I'm quite sure it's because you have either the soundcard or the program set to record in stereo, with 2 inputs. Your input needs to be routed for a mono signal - then you'll get both speakers. How to do that with whatever program you've got though is sumpthin you gotta figger out fer yerself.

9. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Oooooooohhhhhhhh nastay ;)

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Without buying aditinal cables, why not duplicate the track then you'll have two identicla mono tracks, then your software shoudl be able to convert it into one stereo track. The question is, why would you want a stereo track, you still going to pan it in the middle - correct?

Cheers