Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording on PC problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by romac, Apr 2, 2004.

1. I just tried recording on my PC to see what it was like. My set-up was as follows:

Bass > Cable > Zoom 708II on bypass mode (using as pre-amp) > Cable > 1/4" to 1/8" adapter > Microphone jack in PC

The cable from the zoom is going out from the headphone jack in my amp. When I try to record it is extremely, extremely quiet. I have to turn the volume up on AcidPro up to full and the volume of my speakers up to full. Only then can I hear it and obviously theres a great deal of noise then. What do you think the problem is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ps my sound card is a SB Live! Value sound card that you get with Dell computers. I think it's 16 bit but I'm not sure.

2. rlm2112

rlm2112

Apr 2, 2004
    I have the same problem trying to record my guitar, the only difference is i use my line in instead of mic. I've tried different software, and made sure all the volume controls on my computer are turned up. It's really frustrating :mad:

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Are you sure the Zoom is acting as a preamp when in bypass mode? Maybe it's passive and your signal isn't up to the db level your input needs. Try a DI.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Turn off the bypass, then turn up the output on the Zoom. This thing can power headphones so it's definitely hot enough to feed your mic/line in port.

If that fails, get an Apple, and use one of the software preamps in GarageBand. ;)

5. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    go to volume in accessories ......

Open it up and go to properties/preferences ........look around for recording preferences ...........it shouldd then come with volume controls for your line-in/stereo/wave/ etc, ........crank the line in volume

sorry if those are dodgy instructions ....im on a mac atm so i cant really remember the exact procedure.....but that should fix it

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Yes, your SB Live is 16 bit.

As rlm2112 suggested, try the line in instead of the mic input. The mic input is really only useful for computer mics. Unless you're going for that effect in your recording you'll usually be better off with the line in.

Something I missed when I first started recording on my PC was to check the levels in the Windows volume control. It drove me crazy until I found that (with the help of others on another recording BBS). Make sure the recording level for Line In oushed up pretty high. If you're using a Mac, or some other platform, I'm sure there's a similar control.

7. Well my sound card doesn't have a line in jack. So I suppose the only way I'd be able to use that is to get a new sound card but I don't really want to spend more money.

I have turned up the microphone volume after following (and adpating:) ) slot's instructions. Unfortunatly this morning one of my cables died on me so I can't test it out. I'm getting a new cable tomorrow so I'll let you know then.

ps. From the amp or the 708II to the PC can I use any instrument cable with the adapter on the end?

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Your SBLive definitely has a line in. check the manual.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Romac,

I used the SB Live Value my PC came with for a few years before I finally bought my Delta 66 and know for sure that it *does* have a Line In input. If I remember correctly, it's the blue jack (at least that's how it was color coded on mine).

10. Just to reiterate the procedure:

1. Look for the little "speaker" icon in the lower right corner of your monitor. Click it twice.

2. Make sure the volume level on the microphone, line in, and just about everything else is up, just to be safe.

3. There will be an "options" file listed in the upper left corner of the volume control. Click it and go to the "properties" section.

4. Click the button marked "Recording" under the Adjust Volume For: area. Then click OK.

5. Check the volume levels on your recording properties. Make sure the microphone, line in, etc. are up.

Hope this helps!

Incidentally, if you want to upgrade your soundcard, you can get a "full duplex" card that will probably be better than your Soundblaster for about $20 at Circuit City. It's not going to compete with the pro-level stuff, but it'll give you more options and the ability to play back and record at the same time at 16-bit mode.

11. Thanks for the help. I feel a bit stupid since I have discovered a line in on my sound cardm very poorly marked. There was no manual with it since it came bundled with the PC and I can't find a manual on the internet so I don't know what to do next. I have my amp connected to the line in on the sound card. On the amp I have the red and white wires coming out of the Tape Out jacks. How can I test if it's working?? Do I need to "set it up" some how since I can't get any sound when trying to record on AcidPro.

The cable I'm using is actually a Audio/Video cable but I'm not using the yellow video part. Should I get a dedicated audio cable?

12. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    No problem about the line in, the jack isn't labeled o nthat card. Instead, some goofball at Creative had this "creative' idea to use almost identical symbols for the Line In and Line Out jacks. You have to look *VERY* closely to see that the barely visible little arrow on one points in for Line In and the other points out for Line Out. Not exactly a good design from an actual user's point of view, but I'll bet it earned that goof a promotion for his/her "brilliance" ....

Anyway, I'm assuming that you have some kind of cable and possibly adapters so you have the red and white plugs (called "RCA plugs") on one end and a 1/8" stereo plug on the other? Using a combination A/V cable will work just fine, no need to get a different cable at this point. Just focus on just getting a track down for now.

Assuming you have that, that you're getting good level coming out of your amp, and that you've verified your recording level from Line In is high (courderoy guy gave a good description of what I suggested), then it sounds like the issue is probably in how your software is configured. I know nothing about Acid, but that should be a very basic thing described very close to the front of the user's guide. If you don't have it, you should be able to download one.

Courderoy guy, I'm pretty sure his SB Live Value is a full duplex card. The model I had was capable of playing back multiple, previously recorded tracks while I overdubbed new ones. Definitely not a pro level card, but fine for getting your feet wet.

13. I got it to work :) :bassist:

I went through courderoy's instructions again and noticed that I had "Microphone" selected for recording and not "Line In". So I tried in then and it worked very well :hyper:

So thanks to everyone who helped :D

14. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Yep, it's the stupid little things like that that always cause you headaches. Congratulations.