Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording software.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jacob Painter, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Jacob Painter

Jacob Painter

Jan 15, 2003
    Timpson, TX
    What recording software do people use on there computers when they record at home?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use Cakewalk. I've got "Guitar Tracks" which is simple and runs on about any PC & Soundcard. Even though I had Sonar XL since it's release I was forced to run Pro Audio 9 because of the 300MHz machine I was running for recording. I've got a 500MHz machine piced together for recording that I'm using now and with 12 mono tracks I can still track past 5 minutes and be in sync (the 300Mhz would loose sync after 3 minutes with more then 2 or 3 tracks)

3. Most of my home recording is done in Sound Forge 5, but I run Sonar XL 2.2 as well (P4 2.6GHz, Windows 2000/SP4, twin Delta 1010's) - I almost never retire a computer so I still have older systems around that make themselves usefull from time to time. I like my Cakewalk PA 9 for some applications because it has much better audio editing integrated into it than Sonar (with Sonar I run Sound Forge as a plug in, but that is limited to stereo operation whereas Pro Audio 9 will let me edit multiple tracks - stereo and/or mono - at one time). I have a video workstation running Vegas Video 3, and it can also handle audio editing but again it's Sound Forge that gets called up for the intricate work. I've run Cool Edit Pro in the past, but it always writes 32bit words so the files get pretty big. If I was made of money I'd be on a dual processor G5 with Pro Tools....

Hey I've got a Gadget Labs Wave 8/24 with S/PDIF daughterboard for sale - it works fine in Windows 98 or NT4 but they never got the WDM drivers released so forget about Windows 2000 - paid $750 I'll sacrifice it for $300, factory box and bundled sooftware (Cool Edit Pro!) drop me a line if yer innersted

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I use Sonar 3 Producer edition. I enjoy it a great deal. As many tracks as your hardware can handle, lots of plug-ins, excellent interface. Can't say enough good things about it. It's expensive, but worth every cent if you're going to be doing any serious recording.

Hardware:

2.8Ghz P4
    1GB RAM
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio Delta 44
    160GB external firewire drive

5. In the past: Cool Edit Pro
    Currently: Cubase SX
    What I wish I was using: Pro Tools.

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I used Cakewalk software for years until I went Mac about six months ago. Never had a single problem with "Guitar Tracks" and thought it was good for the money.

These days I'm using Garage Band.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    My guess is this is mostly PC dominated Forum. I'm on Mac with Pro Tools Le 6.4 & Digi 001 + RME ADI-8.

Cheers

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    It depends. For straight audio projects I use a PT6 through an mBox. For projects with heavy midi I generally use DP4 through an 828MKII. In both cases I always use Live and/or Reason.

9. samplitude. used to use an old version of nuendo. samplitude sounds cleaner to me.

10. g3 12 in ibook qith 6 soem thing ram / reason 2.5 and live and gb. i use a moble preamp or othere recorderes. all editing done on the mac.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I use Sonic Foundry ACID Pro 4.0.

The interface isn't as pretty as some, but it gets the job done.

The PC is a P4 3.6 Ghz, 1GB RAM, not sure on the sound card though. I'm not really a computer person.

Travis

12. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    FWIW, I have an older PC (650 Mhz, with a decent (but older as well) sound card).

I like to use Cool Edit Pro, with a multi-track plugin (maybe it comes with it, I don't know). I have Cakewalk too but I guess I'm too stupid and/or impatient to really figure out how to use it properly. Cool Edit does everything I really need.

13. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I use one rarely mentioned on this board...NTrack Studio.
    It's a great piece of software, extremely easy to use and intuitive, takes just about any plugins, it's a breeze to use.
    I use an Aardvark Direct Pro 2496 as an interface, and it works great as well. It has great MIC pre's built in, and instrument's sound great going into it as well.

14. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC