Recording Tricks, Tips, and Hints

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frankencow150, Apr 1, 2004.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hi, I have a Shure SM-57 and Acid Pro 4.0 on my computer. This is all I have to record with. I just record little songs I make and songs with my band. Well...I was wondering if theres any little small (or big) things people do to make their home recordings sound better???

The only things I've found that help are:

1)Turn the monitor off when you record (makes the amp buzz less)

2)Cover the amp in a blanket or towel, helps eliminate outside sounds. I'm not sure if this definitely works. Anyone have ideas on this? It sounds better but maybe it muffles it and I don't notice? Any help about this would be good.

Ok, so anything else? I want my homemade recordings to sound better!
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    One of the most important I learned is that when mixing it's usually better to cut than boost. Specifically, cut the frequencies that aren't important parts of an instrument to give your tracks a little more breathing room in your mixes.

Ideally, you should learn to do this by ear. However a spectrum analyzer can be a a helpful tool while learning. Just don't depend on it as a crutch.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Mic placement will alter your sound more than anything else you have. Experiment.

As far as gear goes, you will probobly notice the biggest sonic difference when you change mic pre's. Its the largest gain stange and as a result varying pre's will color the sound the most.

Get the best level you can.

Your amp may buzz when your monitor is on because they are on the same cercuit. Try plugging them into different sources.

The best way to enhance your recordings is to practice, do lots of projects and learn from your mistakes. Oh and make sure what you are recording is good. I don't know how many times I has liking how my recording was coming along, when I realized the band was not tight, they played ****ty gear and had bad songs. Be on the look out for that.
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Something we've been struggling with for our entire existence...haha. I'll be sure to post a link on the Recordings section when its done. Should be by Friday...
  5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The computer sound card quality has a lot to do with it. A SB Audigy will record much better than an SB16.