Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording with a tube amp

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Oct 27, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, recently got a couple new tube amps that sound pretty amazing for recording bass. The one that's interesting is the Laney Klipp 100. For those of you who remember the 70's, this amp was made famous by Black Sabbath, Slade, Argent, and the like. It has a very cool distortion circuit that you can dial in if you jump the channels, and you can get a wonderful tapestry of tube harmonics if you blend in the channels just right. Just used it with a 2x12 closed back cab with a pair of BagEnd S-12's in it. Put a '57 about two feet away from the speakers and it's good to go. Very cool bass sound.

2. I really like using my old Fender Vibro Champ for bass, I tend to mic up the amp and run direct at the same time to get the full range.

I love the sound of a jazz bass through an old tube guitar amp

3. Do you remember the old 61 blonde bassmen's?

I use one in the studio, still has the paper speakers, this thing rocks with vintage tone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's a nice lookin' amp. What's that thing in the middle?

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hells yeah a peavey valveverb! that thing is primo sounding!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. Yeap, it's a peavey valve verb. Fender makes them also.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    This sounds good? What kind of music do you play? I usually use a 421 or a d112 or the like.

9. Droog the 57 is excellent but you should listen when placing the mic. The placement is an important factor when recording any instrument.

57's are great on guitar amps, D112, 421 and the Audix D6 are great bass or kick misc. Have you ever used the RE20's for bass?

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Only a few times. Still prefer a 421 with a DI. Also the Beyer M88 is a cool mic, can't quite take the SPL's but I still dig em quite abit. Think I have used it on kick more than bass. RE20's are a cool mic for sure. They are a broadcast mic so they have a lot of rejection which is often disirable. The shure SM7 is another mic that I would really like to get my hands on for Bass as well as Vocals oddly enough.

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, a '57 is an old reliable standby. It sounds acceptable (if not spectacular) on "just about anything". That was kinda the point, that I could dial up a killer sound with "just" a '57. Of course there are better mics. For bass and anything else. '57's do sound pretty good for guitar cabs, but they don't compare with a nice Royer ribbon mic. I've used all kinds of mics for bass cabs, some work "close" and some sound better when they're farther away. One really nice one is a Neumann CMV-563, it's the "small bottle" tube mic. If you get an M7 or M7s (basically the same capsule that's in a U87), you can get a nice fat tube mic sound. That particular mic sounds great about three feet away from a 15" speaker, and it works especially well at medium power with my old Ampeg Portaflex. I usually track it through an API pre and run it straight through the mix without any EQ. Really I only mic bass amps when I'm trying to capture a particular live sound, most of the time I like the board.

12. I hear ya. I also know the U87 has a kit that makes it a tube mic.

I like to go half and half if I have the tracks. Then I have the best of both worlds for mix time!

[​IMG]
    Treena