1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording with an Android Tablet (Galaxy Tab S4)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by neptoon, Dec 10, 2018.

1. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    Was thinking of picking up one of those Galaxy Tab S4 tablets, and I was curious if you could even record with it? I've got a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface, and I would never record any more than just a bass track to upload into drop box for the studio to pick up a few thousand miles away...i'm intrigued by the form factor, and I'm wondering is there is a DAW type app that I could use with my interface into an Android device...also curious about the mechanics of how all of that would even hook up - could I use a USB adapter to hook the Focusrite into it? Could I just dump the file into dropbox, or would I need a portable hard drive? I travel all the time, and sometimes I find myself thinking that if I had something small and portable, i might be able to be a little more productive when i'm on the road...i already carry my work laptop, and my old alienware weighs a ton, it's a little clunky and old, and it's in dire need of some work, so it hasn't been coming along lately

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA

3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    thanks, looks like there might be some latency issues with the android, but that was 3 years ago...thanks!

4. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Android versions after Nougat has gotten far better with respect to latency, so the difference to iOS is not a deal-breaker anymore. It mostly depends on the app and your use case. If you are just recording yourself playing bass, then latency is never an issue. The problem is when you need SW effects or play samplers/synths in the box, listening via the tablet in-line. Then I'd definitely try before I'd buy.

neptoon likes this.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    yeah, I would never be recording anything but myself...I was reading that since my scarlett is USB powered that a tablet wouldn't power it, but there is some sort of cable you can use to overcome that? and I don't even know of any recording apps, I just assumed that there had to me something that I could use