1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recording with audacity problems

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AussieBassist2, Apr 9, 2010.

1. hey everyone

i'm trying to record some of my stuff onto my computer

i downloaded audacity and i have a connector cable between my amp into the computer. it goes from the head jack in the amp, into the microphone jack in the back of the computer. i simply open audacity, click record and start playing, but it doesn't pick up the sound from the amp.

is there any settings i should've clicked or have i done something wrong with connecting?

hope u can help

cheers

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Well, big guy, first off you do NOT want to use the mic jack in the computer, you want to use the line in jack. Unfortunately, beings i dont know what computer you have, i cant tell you which it is, but you can figure that out im sure.

Second, what OS are you running? If windows, you need to open up the control panal and then click sounds, and then set wherever your input is as your default input.

3. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    In Audacity, make sure you check the dropdown box in the upper right hand corner and select the correct input. That said, just as santucci218 says, you don't want put your amp's output into the mic input, and if you're using a laptop, you probably don't have a line input. I would recommend getting an interface that allows you to connect anything and works with USB.
    This should probably be in the Recording Gear forum, by the way..