1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording with my GK 1001-RBII

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Savnok, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Savnok

Savnok

Jan 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Im gonna be recording in a few weeks and i need some tips..

I know the GK 1001-RBII has some sort of direct out, is this at all similar to a DI BOX? or am i completely off with this? Have any of you guys recorded with this amp?

Would it be possible to record using this direct out as well as mic'ing the cabinet?

Any tips would be apreciated...

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The direct out is identical to a direct box. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use that signal to record.
    Two things to keep in mind, though:
    1) The level of the output (how much you'll send out of the amp to the board) is adjustable; so I'd start with it at zero and slowly bring it up until you've got enough going into the board. (The board should have an input gain control, too, of course.) (I'm just saying this to keep you from frying the board, or at least getting distortion, although I don't even know for sure whether the output from the 1001RBII could get high enough to harm a board.)
    2) You can choose whether to have the signal colored by the amp, or to have it go straight to the board, as if you were really using a DI box. In the latter case, all the EQing would be done on the board. Whatever works better for you. In my experience, most recording engineers like to have the bass go straight in, without any coloration, with the cabinet miked as well. That gives them the most leeway. (With the GK, even if you go "straight" into the board using the DI, you can still EQ the signal coming out of the amp.)
    If I'm wrong about any of this, please chime in, people...

3. Savnok

Savnok

Jan 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ok some questions..Im gonna be doing a home recording probably straight into a lexicon omega recording console/soundcard. From what ive read most bassists suggest to record both direct and with a mic.

1.) the GND/LIFT Should this be on or off? the manual says it has to do with whether the equipment you are connected to is running on a different ground system?

2.) if i want to both mic the cabinet and go through the direct out.. i can send the direct out straight without any sort of EQ and the mic'ed sound with EQ from the amp simultaneously? at least this is what i gathered from the previous post...

3.)is this a smart thing to do? or is it just silly? Should i record both already EQ'ed? If one bass track has the AMP EQ and the other track has a modified EQ from the recording program will this sound weird?

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It would be good if we could get some comments from people who are more electronically-minded (and recording-minded)... but, having said that...
    1.) For all I know, the ground lift is nothing more or less than something to change if you hear a hum.
    2.) Yes, you can simultaneously: mic the cabinet, with your bass signal EQed by the amp controls; and send the bass signal "direct" through the amp to the board, with no EQing. It has to do with the pre/post button next to the ground lift button. (No coloration = "pre")
    3.) Engineers like to be able to get a clean signal from the instrument and a signal from a miked cabinet and mix them to get a pleasing combination. The miked cabinet signal will have more ambient room sound, hence more fatness, "organic" speaker tone and warmth. The direct signal will have more clarity, "dryness" and edge.
    In the end, it's all up to you. I would actually start just with the direct out ("pre") signal and simply see how that sounds in the mix. I've done plenty of recording projects where the engineer records both signals and ends up just using the direct signal in the final mix. Of course, it depends on how much EQing your board can do! If that's limited, you *could* go "post" and send your sound to the board after you've EQed it with your amp. I've gotten great results doing that with an old GK400RB.

5. Savnok

Savnok

Jan 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks allot for the responses..its been of much help!

I'll give another update once i actually start laying down the bass lines.. any other inputs are welcome too..

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah i've used the DI on my 700RBii to record. i think most of the salient points were covered already. i would definitely recommend mic'ing the cabinet too. the DI for me always sounds a little thin but that might just be my bass. you can set the DI to be pre or post EQ, which is nice. how you set it up is up to you and what you like better.

actually, i've found that if i put the mic right next to the strings while i play and mix it with a DI signal i can get a surprisingly good approximation of an upright bass tone! just a funny thought.

7. AnalogPackrat

AnalogPackrat

May 20, 2008
    CA
    Just chiming in with a few things (no way to cover all the recording possibilities)...

-Yes, it can be useful to have both a mic'd amp and dry DI track
    -Amp micing in a recording situation can be tricky, DI is "easy"
    -The DI track can be processed in all kinds of ways during mixing (so can the mic'ed track, of course)

+Try compressing the crap out of the dry DI signal and fading it in under the mic'ed track until it gels
    +Try the opposite of the above (compress the mic'ed channel)
    +Only mix in the DI track at push points in the song (chorus, last verse, whatever)
    +EQ the DI track to enhance or fix problem areas in the mic'ed track, mix to taste
    +Reamp the DI track through a guitar amp (or a different bass amp, or the same bass amp you used, but set differently)

The ground lift switch on the GK DI simply disconnects the balanced cable's shield from ground at the amp end. This eliminates ground loops which couple AC field into your signal (hum). Whether you need to lift or not depends on how your other stuff is wired and grounded.