Recording yourself/Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jheise, Jul 19, 2019.

1. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi all,

I'd like to record myself on video to track my current status with different musical and technical things.
    What does everybody else use for that? What is the go to solution these days?
    I'd like to have the most simple solution: one camera using the included mic that is easy to use and has some decent audio in the end.
    I don't need that equipment to make some professional grade videos or recordings.

In the past, I used my MacBook on a second stand for audio/video. I also have different equipment (mics etc.) for higher quality recording. But I do not have a dedicated practice space right now where I can keep everything set up all the time.
    I tried my current phones/tablets etc. but the audio sucks.

What do you use? GoPro?

I did not find a recent thread about this so I made a new one. In case I missed something, just point me to the right thread.

Thank you!

Jan

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you have a relatively recent phone, you can get a RODE shotgun mic that will feed better audio into your video. I just used one for a video recently, and it sounded really good. Relatively inexpensive, too. Just check to make sure it’s compatible with your phone.

jheise, equill and Zimmy Jazz like this.
  3. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you Chris, I wasn't aware of these mics. That looks very promising, the reviews on Thomann's site are mostly very good, too.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

Also check out the Zoom video cameras. They do a great job with audio and a good job with video. I have used several of their cameras.

Here is a new version that I haven't seen personally, but it is very affordable and should be perfect for your use. I'm sure it is available where you are, too.

Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder

Here is a recording I did with my Zoom Q8:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    jsf729, Chris Fitzgerald and Oddly like this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I had occasion recently to provide some video of myself playing as an audition...
    I didn't have the time, money or tech expertise to do anything fancy, so I simply positioned my smartphone (Nokia 6.1, about 3 years old) approximately 4 feet from my GK combo and played along with music from my tablet.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounded, especially on headphones.
    It's certainly not perfect, but it does what I need.
    Here's a thread featuring my woefully imperfect playing, to give some idea.
    I thought I'd share...

6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    +1 on the Rode mics, they work well.

7. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi, I'm using the Rode mic for a couple of months now. Thank you for the recommendations. It works really well. So I'm back to the point that I have to blame my playing if it sounds bad...

Another question: the Android standard Video app distorts the audio so I use OpenCamera instead. But somehow it always crashes when I try to play back what I recorded. I have to use the Gallery app for that. Now that I am recording a little bit more and have the piece I want to record up to a point where I works, it starts to bug my to switch between apps.

Any recommendations on Video + Audio apps with Android?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021