1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Records you've bought recently

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Midfour, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    Preemptive clarification: record means "piece of recorded music" and not specifically "vinyl record album".

What albums have you all bought recently? I went to an antique store today and got the first Weezer album, an REM compilation (best of the IRS years, '82-87), an NWA comp (Legacy, a comp which includes both NWA tracks and solo tracks from it's members after they broke up), and Eric B. and Rakim's Follow the Leader, all on CD.

My most recent haul before that netted me a live Bad Brains album, a couple of Motorhead albums (No Sleep Til Hammersmith and Ace of Spades), Gogol Bordello's ridiculously good double album Underdog World Strike, a 10" of Tone-Loc's "Wild Thing", and a handful of obscure punk EPs from local (NJ, USA) bands, all on vinyl (I used to buy mostly vinyls because they were cheaper at the local record store, which has sadly gone under recently, so now I go to a nearby antique store which sells CDs for cheap and vinyl at ridiculous markups).

Anyone get anything good recently?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Picked up the new Coheed & Cambria, which is awesome. Also got a couple of Flaming Lips CD's....Yoshimi and Soft Bulliten. Just got a bunch of new stuff thanks to Amazon's $2 sale..too many to mention and I haven't even listened to any of them yet!

But the cream of the crop...Steven Wilson's new album, The Raven That Refused to Sing. Got the high-res 5.1 channel BluRay. It's heavenly.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    the guy who bought the final holdouts of my vinyl got a pretty good deal....i let go of a double hank williams set, a lou donaldson, a cannonball adderly, two association lp's, a sam cooke, carole king (an orig "tapestry" i picked up at a yard sale), zep's physical graffiti, roger waters "pros...", syd barretts "madcap...", and a time life set of four lp's--all swing from 1939-40. i got 20 bucks.

i don't have a record player anymore anyway. jeez dude wanna buy my 200+ cd's? i'm kinda over the physical media thing. i like enough stuff that sirius (thru dish network), pandora (the free one) and rhapsody (meh, 10 bucks) do me just fine. if i need to learn a tune, i just get it thru rhapsody. between tabs and experience, i haven't run into a problem learning a tune before it expires.

no more piles of cd cases (previously cassette cases, pre-previously lp sleeves) with nothing in them. no more scratches (previously warps, pre-previously scratches and/or warps) from mishandled media. no more cd doctor (previously tape splicing kit, pre-previously replacing styli, replacing said damaged media 'cuz there's no fix).... ya you get it. now to work on that land-line phone and picture tube television....

4. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

Apr 3, 2012
    LA
    10,000 Days - Tool
    The Promise - Earth, Wind & Fire

found em for 5 bucks a piece!
    I like having CD's, especially if its an album I really like.

5. The Alabama Shakes and Mackelmore's latest. Both are top notch albums (don't judge Mackelmore on Thrift Shop, although that song is great satire).

lowsound

6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

The Aristocrats- Boing We'll Do It Live

7. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a few factors biasing me towards physicals, with the biggest being that I do not own a fully functioning computer (downloads only feasible on a good day). But besides that I mostly like going to a store to buy records because I find myself getting things that look interesting but that I otherwise wouldn't think about.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Ahmad Jamal 8-album box set:
    Count em 88
    AJ Trio at Spotlight Cafe
    But Not For Me - Live at the Pershing
    Jamal at the Penthouse
    Happy Moods
    All of You
    Chamber Music of the New Jazz
    Standard Eyes

That's enough listening & inspiration for a lifetime.

9. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    "Bought" is a little iffy. There's a local music shop that occasionally puts unsold used CDs out for the trash men. I walked by one time, sifted through them, and found Jurassic 5's "Feedback". Turned out to be a really good listen.

I was hooked on this song for a solid week:

10. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I've been on a bit of an old school kick lately.

Bought New Order's Power, Corruption, and Lies along with (Who's Afraid of) The Art of Noise.

Also, Dead Can Dane-Toward the Within. Awesome stuff IMO.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  12. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    John Coltrane's Blue Train

I was gonna buy Ke$ha's Warrior album and whatever Brown Bird albums my local shop had but they had neither today

13. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    good point. but also, pandora plays stuff based on what you pick. they've turned me on to some stuff i'd have never found on my own. it will inevitably all end up turning into shyte if you don't use the "thumbs down" button generously, though. i went from typing in "infectious grooves" and just let it go. i clicked the thumbs up on everything it played (even stuff i didn't like) just to see how far down the rabbit hole it took me. no kidding, less than an hour to nickelback :/

14. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Got my hands on an old Tower of Power record. ****ing beautiful!

15. Vinyl?
    Yard sale find:
    * Shirelles Greatest Hits
    * Ike and Tina Turner
    * Association, 1st album
    * LOVE, 1st album
    * Big Bother and the Holding Co. R. Crumb cover, 2nd album
    Buying these gems set me back $2.50

16. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    Even getting Pandora to work on my computer is a flip-a-coin sort of prospect. Also, their algorithm can be dubious even with judicious use of the thumbs-down.
    I think Grooveshark is actually a better site for listening to music (and I can usually get it to work) because it doesn't work likeable radio (I have a radio for that). You just type inwhat you want to hear, click on it, and it plays.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I stopped at Half Priced Books last night and picked up
    B.B. King- Live at Cook County Jail
    King Floyd- Choice Cuts
    Roy Buchanan- Live at Rockpalast

$11.95 for all three!
    I hit that store at least once a week.

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    To be honest, there hasn't been anything that has come out in close to 20 years that I have wanted to buy. I have purchased songs from Itunes but can't remember the last time I bought a cd or vinyl. Having said that, I own over 2,000 vinyl albums and about 1,000 cds. Most of them are classic rock, country, blues and jazz albums from the 1930s to the early 1990s.

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    This year so far:

Everything Everything - Man Alive
    Everything Everything - Arc
    Bill Evans Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard
    De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
    Bellowhead - Broadside
    Bootsy Collins - Funk Capital Of Tha World
    Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew
    Squirrel Nut Zippers - Perennial Favourites
    DJ Jazzy Jeff - Return Of The Magnificent
    Ben Folds Five - The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
    Easy Star All Stars - Radiodread

And a couple of the Trojan Records collections that were on offer on Amazon. :)

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I love J5. I found a couple of Wesley Willis CDs in a dumpster in the mid '90s (Fabian Road Warrior and Rock And Roll Will Never Die) and my word, what a find! :)