Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Aleph5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Anybody played through one of these? If it's good enough for Viktor, who IMO gets the consistently best tone of anyone on recordings, it's probably OK.

(He also likes the AKG D112 mic and an Underwood pickup :eyebrow:. When I saw him, I thought he was using Fishman clip-ons :eyebrow: (!!) along w/ a mic I didn't identify.)
  2. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Yea I think Dave Holland uses one.
  3. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I use something very similar (avalon u5, a hi-end DI) and find that it sounds great--a simple piece of gear designed to produce a very high quality signal is better (IMHO) than gear with a ton of features
  4. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    it's been a couple years since i saw viktor but when i did, i got to talk to him, see his bass, etc. i recall him having one pickup going to a tuner which he kept on at all times and one pickup and a small mic or maybe it was 2 pickups? going to a blender... i think....i think it was the fishman clips and an underwood and a very small mic. sorry for the sketchy info, but my point was, if you saw him with the dreaded fishman clips on, there's a chance you didn't "hear" the clips b/c they may have been just going to the tuner...

btw, a buddy of mine has done some gigs in Viktor's band around Nashville lately. he doesn't call me much anymore :crying:
  5. Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Since starting this thread, I've tried one that I intend soon to experiment w/ a lot more. It exceeded my expectations and really sounded awesome. However, it was difficult to A-B, because its only output is an XLR and I didn't have an adapter to feed a 1/4" plug for my other rig or to insert in an effects loop. I just drove it either directly with my FC pickup or the Send out of my Contra and the REDDI fed my Schertler Pub.

I think a simple adapter can feed a 1/4" plug using both active lines of the XLR out, if I'm right about its transformer isolating the lines at the output. In other words, connecting either to a signal return/ground shouldn't result in shorting the REDDI's output stage. I'm going to check more carefully first, though. ;)

See the Summit thread for more comments. I know the REDDI's less user friendly and more $$, but if it sounds better, maybe it's worth it.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Peter at A-Designs seemed like a great guy when I talked with him. Don't hesitate to give him a call or email about that issue. I do know that he's talked to lots of people asking for a 1/4" out in addition to the XLR, but he made this specifically for one purpose, so there's not much budging on that topic.

I DID use the REDDI at rehearsal directly into a poweramp though using XLR and it sounded great.