Reevaluating my amp needs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by velalv, Apr 5, 2020.

1. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I know there have been a ton of threads about going amp less, but what about pruning? I have a Zoom B1on, a Phil Jones Double Four, and a Bergantino CN 112 and Forte. I am mainly playing acoustic guitar and some bass for my church, which does not allow me to use my amps. I might play a bit of electric guitar too.

I go to a small acoustic jam where the double four is great for that. All of them could be used for practice as they all have aux-in and headphone outs. I already feel like the Berg is over kill, as awesome as it sounds, and it Is a lifetime keeper quality wise. In some ways an Ampeg scrambler type of set up or Zoom probably could cover 80% of my needs. Would anybody prune this set up? Am I just having Gear guilt syndrome? Is there such a thing?

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I feel like it is in some way important to keep some means of amplification to play as loud as I might ever need.
    In my personal case, that might be Rock or even Metal - so I have something that will handle two loud guitar halfstacks and a loud drummer. I slimmed that setup down as much as possible, but will refuse to go further.

Things might change, I might find another band where IEM is not a thing, or I might get a call on short notice to help out for a gig where I need some volume.
    IMHO a 'real' bassist owns a bass and enough amplification to go up against a drummer.

chadds likes this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I am not sure why you would feel guilty. I own 28 amps, 10 or so basses, and 4 types of speakers, including the massive stack below. I pretty much retired from playing around 2008 and bought most of what I own since then. The only amp in my collection I have ever gigged is a GK 700RB/112.

upload_2020-4-5_13-43-1.jpeg

IMHO if you enjoy having the gear and playing through it, then keep it unless it is causing some sort of problem. Usually when you sell something you take a huge hit on value. So if you decide to rebuy later you loose a bunch of money.

There are pretty much two valid reasons for selling IMHO: 1. You need the room, or 2. you need the cash. Most other reason for selling are really sub-categories of 1 or 2. I.E. you're moving or your significant other is giving you a hard time. IMHO feeling guilty because you don't use the gear as you think it should be used is a BS reason. If the gear gives you joy and does not cause problems, keep it with a clear conscience. Otherwise, prune away.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Most of us have at least some cause to feel a little guilty about being abundantly blessed in perhaps multiple areas when so many others are struggling to get by... I would simply say it makes you a decent, self-aware person for asking the question. That said, we all have a passion for something that is likley beyond pure neceesity and if it's not depriving anyone else of something (i.e. your joy is not at their expense), I think it's okay to treat yourself occassionally.

To me, an extra amp, cab or instrument that gives you pleasure when you play it is not selfish excess. FWIW I fuly accept that opposing points of view would be an equally valid position.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    dbbltime, Kro, Wasnex and 1 other person like this.
  5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    Well, since I'm local, if you want to drop off the Bergantino stuff at my place for a while to see if you miss it, I would be willing to take on that burden for you. Then if you miss it, just come get it back. If you don't miss it after 3-6 months, you can come get it to sell. This is just one of the many community services I can provide.

But seriously, you have a pretty tame and also physically small lineup of stuff. And if you're in Woodbridge, I'm guessing you're not living in a NYC style closet apartment, so space probably isn't a major issue.

And playing situations do change over time. The gear is presumably all paid for, and if you bought it new, that depreciation is always abstract until you actually sell something. Then it's real and fixed forever. So I vote keep everything for now.

Wasnex, velalv and Al Kraft like this.
  6. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Your right about space. I only have two basses, an acoustic guitar, and an electric guitar. Total of five instruments, and only one other small tube guitar amp. Overall I have plenty of space, I just always like being efficient with my gear. I’m very blessed to have top flight gear, and am grateful for what I have. Just asking philosophical questions now that I’m home for a while.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    When it comes down to it, you have to choose your own path. My advice is look at the big picture, do a holistic cost/benefit analysis, and avoid putting any artificial pressure on the situation. There is plenty of gear for anyone who wants it, so you are not really depriving any one by holding on to relatively common gear. Also the gear does not care how it is used or who owns it...IMHO there is no reason guilt should factor into your decision.

However, the cost of keeping the gear is the opportunity to do something else with the money. But you have to balance this with the potential cost of selling the gear only to want or need it again later. Also consider whatever joy owning the gear brings you. If there is no joy, then by all means sell it, and reap whatever benefit you can.

The only place where I see any sort of ethical dilemma is when people start parting and/or destroying desirable rare vintage gear rather than passing it on. Ultimately it's the owner's right, but I still hate to see it. Some people see this practice in a different light. For example, parting out a vintage guitar may allow several vintage guitars to be made whole. This doesn't appear to apply to your unique situation.

velalv, Omega Monkey and Al Kraft like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021