1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refin project - advice needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Haans, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm currently removing the black laquer from an old Peavey Fury. I want to give the poplar body a nice translucent finish in a reddish brown tint. My plan is to sand it down after removing the paint, perhaps burn the wood some, and then stain it and give it a waxed finish. The body looks like it's a single slab of wood.

I was thinking coffee and red food coloring might work, but I'm getting lost in googling. Any advice on what to use to make something that would work? I'd rather make it myself than buying.

I have boiled linseed oil, tung oil, mineral spirits et cetera. How do I go about making a pigmented oil? Can I mix oil with strong coffee and food coloring? Will mineral spirits do any good as a thinner?

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    @earlysecond didn't you start out using food colouring?

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Aniline dye.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Coffee bass. I bet it smells great every time you take it out of the case. I would be on stage craving scrambled eggs.

Haans likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Make sure its decaf or you might start playing ahead of the beat

StreetScenes, Haans and two fingers like this.
  7. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    IMG_20160729_155954. IMG_20160729_160011.
    Stripped. Looks nice, two slabs glued in the middle, of course. Slightly worried about a crack I found, but I might not have to be?

IMG_20160729_160108.

It's the dark line in the middle. It doesn't appear to open up if I try to press on it. Tension from the strings will hold it together, I suppose.

I will possibly try staining with coffee, then red wine, then seal it with several coats of linseed oil. Got some burn marks from the heat gun, will have to sand it for a while before finishing.

Attached Files:

8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    A crack like that is common when you have a tight fitting pocket. It won't hurt anything structurally. Just leave it be.

Haans likes this.
  9. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks, glad to hear.

10. earlysecond

earlysecond

Jan 26, 2016
    Will Yep several food coloring basses. Seem to be aging OK too. I won't necessarily recommend it. I have moved on to the aniline dyes. I found a bunch for minimal prices and have a broad range of colors.

I would NOT likely recommend food coloring IF you are not using a solvent based top coat with a bunch of UV protection. Food coloring, if you think about it, is not meant to last.

The first bass kit I finished relies heavily on food coloring to make it maroon. Also has other paint pigments and pearls and is topcoated with auto clear coat. Currently it is 10 months old and NOT faded. It lives in my church sanctuary and also gets some sunlight (well sunlight through stained glass windows which are 125 years old)

Look for aniline dye on amazon. I also bought some from a known wood working supply Penn (something or other) on the recommendation of the guy in the local cabinet shop who knows a thing or 2!

Good luck!

Brent

Haans likes this.
  11. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I will definitely check out aniline next time. Thanks for all your tips.

12. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Done. I've burnt the wood some with a gas burner, sanded it slightly, and then oiled it with two coats of teak oil and one or two coats of linseed oil. Made a new pickguard from a piece of plyboard and coated it with teak and linseed oil. Sanded the back of the neck with some super fine sanding paper. Looks quite nice. The back has a leopard pattern from using a very small gas burner, but I didn't bother too much with it as it won't be visible. Red wine and coffee did close to nothing. The pictures don't look nearly as good as in real life, of course.

IMG_20170417_210223. IMG_20170417_210240. IMG_20170417_210256.

Will_White likes this.