Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rehersal Problems of the Horizon

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mikarre, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

As my band is beginning to take shape, we have hit our first little stumbling block. Our guitarist is moving from another city and just got a job here this week. The problem is, he will be working M-F 3pm-11pm. This leaves the weekends for rehersal, but I was honestly hoping for a few days during the week. There is nothing we can do at this point, so we have to deal with it.

I'm sure others here have conquered this problem, so I'm looking for suggestions. So far I've come up with:

- Have one night a week rehersal without the guitarist...just drummer, vocalist, and me. We are a hard rock band, so this seems like it wouldn't be very productive.

- I always have one day off during the week, so I could get together with the guitarist in the morning or afternoon to iron some things out. Then we would just have to be tight with the drummer.

-Marathon practices on the weekends. I work every other weekend, but I get off by 5, so we could practice every Saturday and Sunday night. This seems like it would be a little draining.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Like I said, this guitarist is moving several hundred miles to get this project going, so we WILL make it work. We just need some advice right now. :bawl:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Work out with the band what you need to rehearse. It probably depends on personality, but I find it frustrating when rehearsals happen and nobody is prepared (despite my best efforts to get a list of songs to look at in advance). Individual practise and micro-rehearsals might be a good way to make good use of a weekend practise (including longer sessions when you're not working).

Wulf

3. I've always believed that too many bands practice as a group more than they need to. If you have a serious weekend session and get together a few times in small groups during the week, you'll not only be fine but you'll probably be a tighter band. It's good to be able to play your songs without having to have the full band there, and working in small groups can help you write new material. I know it's more fun to jam as a group, but if you can work it out, I think you'll be happy with the results.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Rehearsing one night per week is ample providing its focused.

IME, you'll get more accomplished rehearsing one night a week if everyone comes in knowing thier parts and the rehearsal stays focused than you would practicing 2 or 3 nights a week if everyones comming in unprepared.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    We practice every weekend! We all work different shifts. If one of your band members has an area to practice pad and carpet the walls and ceiling. Muffle the drums with a little papertowl and tape on the underside of the heads ( I don't care what the drummer says) and have a jam marathon till the wee hours of the morning! Do vocal practice during the week. Whatever it takes!

6. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I'm glad to see some people saying one night a week might be adequate. I used to be in a band where we practiced 3 nights a week for 3-4 hours, then I would practice another night with just the drummer, and sometimes write with the guitarist another night...not to mention my personal practice. So, 4-5 nights a week was dedcated to the band. Looking back, maybe it was too much. Maybe one night would be more efficient, as long as we come prepared.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, once a week is fine. I always wanted more, but I've realized it wasn't necessary.