Reid Anderson basist for :::the bad plus:::

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Oct 13, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Man, I can't thank you enough for dropping that site on me the other week. I'd always known I needed to hear them... but some how alway passed them up.

I picked up "Give" and "These are the Vistas" the other night. I hope to track down "Suspicious Activity?" next week.

This stuff is killer! I'm GASing for an URB all over again (like I ever really stopped). It seems a little straighter in vibe than a lot of MMW stuff, but it may be the piano. I was listening to it while working on a CD cover for a hendrix cover band and started mumbling the words to Blonde's "Heart of Glass" it was 1/2 through it before my subconscience kicked me in the shin to get my mouth moving... what a killer spin on classic post disco pop. Iron Man on URB and piano actually sounds meaner and eviler than Ozzy could ever dream :bassist:

Very worth a listen! I'm gonna try to catch them live in November in Newark (I checked the website for a schedule)
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dig the whole band! Very cool concept!!..One of my favorites out of the newer jazz ensembles. :bassist:
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Glad y'all dig them... As a band they are a recent influence of mine.

RE: Ironman... I love when the group swicthes Ironman to major... totally kills me.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The woman that took those fotos used to work here at the Gugg for a little while as a graphic designer. She's real good people.
  6. I heard them a couple times on a jazz radio station. I like the whole band 2, there very different, BIG EATER is good.
    Funny now im putting there cd in, thanks lol.

Ya their bassist is very good, I love the standup. Each member of the band has there own part. The whole band is underated since no one listens to jazz anymore. I'd like to see them live.

Funny, to everyone I know that has heard them, they like jazz, but hate the bad plus. I dont get it, its either you like'm or you don't.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like the Bad Plus. The albums are pretty straight forward and the tunes are fairly composed. I talked to a friend the other day who saw them recently and said that they are much more loose on a live gig. I've gotta see that gig live.

I love that they are all very dinstinctive players. They each have their own identifiable voice. Great stuff.