1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remove the head...from an Ashdown combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theFALLEN, Apr 11, 2010.

1. theFALLEN

theFALLEN

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi guys,

Basically I am looking at removing the head from my Ashdown ABM500 EVO III 210 combo to use it with a different set of speaker combinations and I have some questions that I hope you can advise on.

Firstly, is it difficult to remove a head from a combo casing? (guess that might be quite a subjective question)

Secondly, is it difficult constructing a new amp housing? (i'm guessing that the head will be designed to go into a new "casing" rather than a rack)

Any advice you give would be massively appreciated!

Thanks dudes

EDIT: Wasn't sure which forum this was supposed to go into, please be gentle...:ninja:

2. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 seems like an awful lot of work. Better to add an ext cab to what you've got, or sell it and start over.

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    It's quite easy, I pull heads out of my combos all the time to inspect/clean or repair as necessary.

First absolutely make sure it's unplugged from the wall outlet (sorry to have to say that but you know, safety first).

You'll have to unplug it from the internal speakers. Some combos have a speaker cable, others have an internal plug. You'll have to see how your particular model is connected.

Then unscrew the mounting screws. Usually four screws coming in from the top, sometimes a couple on sides or even front, again depending on your model.

After this you should be able to gently slide the head out. Again some models slide in from the front, others from the back.

As far as a case, it depends on how handy you are but basically it just needs to have a box of some sort to protect the components and keep you and anyone else from getting electrocuted when it's plugged in. Just make sure it gets ventilation, otherwise not much to think about other than cosmetics.

Good luck. :bassist:

5. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Yeah, should be pretty easy; I've done it with various combos such as peavey, fender, and an H&K.

You MAY be able to get it into a rack but often it will be an odd spacing and not exactly an even number of rack units.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Pretty much on point.

I took the amp out of my Ashdown EVO 500 210 combo years ago. And I had Ashdown make me a case for the head. Taking the amp out of the combo really is a simple process as described by Dog-Bone. And once that's done you will have to get the right case for it.

If you can, take a look at the black cases for the Ashdown EVO heads to get an idea of what they look like. I'm sure you can have a competent carpenter build you a case if you can't do it your self.

7. theFALLEN

theFALLEN

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Think I'll go ahead and do it but use a case I found on the net that seems to fit.

8. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    i can't find the mounting screws for the ashdown mag II evo C115 combo head. Can anyone let me know where they are? Are they under the material cover?

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Probably on the top under round covers, but maybe under corner protectors. etc.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That is exactly where they are.