Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing / installing a neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've done it one time, but never on a bass I cared too much about. I'm wondering if there is a proper way to tighten the neck bolts - like any particular pattern for tightening the four screws or is there a spec for the amount of torque used to tighten the screws?

2. Matthew,

I'm sure for every given screw or bolt there are specific torque values, but I don't think you need to be overly concerned with this. Chances of the manufacturer using a torque wrench on the neck's woodscrews during assembly are slim.

Sometimes the scariest part for me is removing the neck from the pocket. They sometimes fit very tight, and I'm always nervous I'm gonna chip some of the wood or finish around the pocket. A tight neck requires a bit of wiggling back and forth to get the neck out.

When you reinstall the neck, start ALL the screws first. Then I usually snug down one screw on the neckside first. Not tight, just snug. Then I move to the diagonal screw on the bodyside. Then back to the other neckside screw and then the last body side screw..
    Basically just a crossing pattern to draw the neck in evenly in the pocket. This way one screw isn't so tight as to keep the opposites from seating the neck properly.
    Once they are snug, then I tighten each individual bolt in the same pattern. Don't think you have to kill them to get them tight enough.

Good luck..

Mag...