1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing J-RETRO from control plate

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alencarlc, Apr 17, 2020.

1. alencarlc

alencarlc

Aug 14, 2018
    Hello friends,

I have one J-Retro 01 preamp, as you know it is stock binded to the a control plate, i wish to take it out from the control plate and the knobs, to install in other bass that has no control plate. Somebody already did this? You know if that is possible?

Thank you very much, guys.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Email John East. Super nice guy, he made them and he’ll tell you!

3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Most of this would depend on the length of the threaded sections of the pots, which appears to be very short to begin with. If you're needing it for a thru-body mount, you'd be out of luck with the length of the threaded portion of the pots, I can tell you that right now.
    The next bass would need to have some kind of pickguard mount to work, plus the holes exactly spaced the same, as the J Retro is all board-mounted.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.07.35 AM.png

Before going too far, I'd suggest finding those things out.

mcnach, ex-tension and Matt Liebenau like this.
  4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I’ve done it, mounted it to a 3ply pickguard , works fine.

those mini switches are short so I would say if you’re going through the body it probably wouldn’t work.
    Use the control plate as a drilling template, everything is mounted to the board so your holes have to be exact.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Would you share the email address for John East that would actually get a response?

I've emailed them/him a few times over the last few years. I have yet to receive a response of any kind.

The last email attempt was regarding the J Retro Marcus model late last year. I believe I had the same question about removing the controls to mount on a regular Jazz control plate and mounting the output jack on the side or bottom, however you want to look at it.

I've given up for the time being, but the interest is still there.

I see so many folks here say that he/they are really good about responding, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong....?

6. Yes, but the pots are integral to the circuitboard, so I'm not sure they'll be long enough to go through the top of the bass: the control plate is pretty thin.

I've removed the J-Retro and installed it into a different control plate without issues, as long as you drill the holes at the right spots.

7. It's a one man operation and he gets busy. I've exchanged emails with him and he's very helpful, but sometimes it takes a bit of time. The best way to reach him is by phone. If you can't get an answer by email, phone him, and I'm sure you'll be able to continue by email.
    He's definitely active these days, as I got an email from him only a few days ago.

Geri O likes this.
  8. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Geri O likes this.