Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Renaissance strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Jan 2, 2004.

1. This is concerning the strings on my fretless Rick Turner Renaissance which I bought last spring. I really like the the Thomastik acousticore strings that came with it but I'm a little concerned about having them on the bass. I know that's kind of weird because they were specifically designed for this particular bass, but I've been noticing some wear on the fingerboard. I know this is hard to avoid, but I didn't think I would notice any wear this soon. I guess I thought that these wtrings were a bit softer than most roundwounds.

Anyway, the strings were starting to go dead anyway, so I thought I would try the Labella nylons, which I've been using on my Warwick for a while and really like. They have sort of an acoustic quality to them, so I thought they would sound good on the Rick Turner, and also slow down the wearing of the fingerboard. Unfortunately, the purple winding on the E string went a little over the nut and on to the fingerboard after I strung it on the bass. Obviously I couldn't have that, so I took the string off and put the Thomastik back on.

This is mostly a question for Renaissance owners. Has anyone else tried the Labella nylon strings on this bass? Is there a way to do it? Would the neck get totally messed up because the strings are so much bigger and tighter? Should I even worry about the wear on the fingerboard from the Thomastiks?

Oh yeah, one more thing. From what I understand, the way to deal with a fingerboard that's been eaten up by a string, is to sand it down? How many times can you do this before you have to replace the whole fingerboard?

2. Try getting Thomastik Jazz flats, maybe. Flatwounds are darker and thumpier than rounds, but you won't damage your fretboard. Some people like the brightness of rounds though, so you might not like them.

If you like the Labella Nylons, try getting a longer scale string, if they offer any. If not, other companies offer nylon strings, so try some out.

3. Thanks. I may try the Fender tapewounds if I find them. I already tried the Rotosounds and thought they were crap. I'd still really like to hear from someone else who owns one of these basses. Come on I know you're out there. :(

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I have a Renaissance too, only had it a few weeks.

I saw this thread yesterday, so I went home and looked at my fretboard and found that there's already some wear showing on the fretboard...!

The acousticore string do sound good, but who wants to have the fretboard re-done every year?

I have a set of TI Jazz Flats that I'm going to try, but I'm also considering some Rotosound Tru Bass tape strings too.

I'll let you know what they sound like...

5. Hey thanks for responding. Just to let you know, I've used the Thomastik Jazz flats and the rotosound Tru bass strings. The Thomastiks are really nice. In fact, I may put my old set on my Renaissance to see what it would wound like. I'd still rather use the La Bella nylons, but I guess that aint gonna happen.

Hopefully you haven't bought the Rotosound Tru bass strings yet. There the worst strings I've ever used. I played a gig with them, and it was just horrible. If you haven't already gotten them DON'T. Just trying to help you out.

6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I did put the TI flats on last night, they didn't work for me, not enough thump, not enough low end.

If you still have the Roto Tru Bass strings and want to get rid of them, I'd like to try them out.....

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    "...I haven't seen very much evidence of
    wear, even on the earliest of these basses which are about seven years old
    at this point. From my point of view, it's like worrying about
    tires...they won't wear out if you don't drive, and if you do, rotate and
    replace as necessary...which translates into dress the fingerboard when it
    needs it, and eventually replace the fingerboard which isn't a huge deal
    on these."

8. I just out on TI flats too. they really don't seem to suit the bass well at all. Granted they were on my Warwick for about a half a year, but I'm the kind of guy who leaves strings on forever, and 6 months isn't that long for flatwounds. They sound way too thuddy and lifeless. The original Acousticore strings that were on there a few minutes ago were even older, and they sounded great in comparison. What I would really like to put on this bass is those LA BELLA TAPEWOUNDS!!! Sorry, I'm just a little frustrated. Maybe I'll try the fender tapewounds and see if they fit.

I threw my Rotosounds out. They were really that bad. Sorry about that.

In response to Rick Turner's message, I emailed him a while ago, and he told me something similar. It just seems to me like replacing the fingerboard would be extremely expensive, even if I do only have to do it once or twice.

9. That's cool, but I wouldn't want to do that to my Renaissance for a few reasons, the most important being that I like the sound so much now, I wouldn't want to change it by coating the fingerboard in epoxy. It would also look kind of stange having a natural oil finish bass with an ultra glossy fingerboard wouldn't it? Nevertheless, it's good to know of someone who specializes in that sort of thing. If I ever wanted to do it to one of my basses in the future, I sure wouldn't want to do try it myself.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have a set of LaBella tapewounds on my Cirrus 5 string...and the Cirrus has a very long scale neck. I was worried that they wouldn't fit, but they fit perfectly.

Try ordering them at Carvin's website. I know the set for 5 string basses fit long scale basses like my Cirrus.

11. I think unfortunately, the issue is that my bass has through body stringing, and the body is very wide, so a more of the string than usual gets taken up before it even gets to the bridge.