1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

repairing/replacing a broken tuner????:help:

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rodl2005, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I've got a relatively cheap-o- EUB. U know the type.......
    But all that's irrelevant really, it's got tuners like on a bass guitar- single ones-not joined by a brass plate or anything. Called Tyrolean????!!!?!???? :rolleyes: I don't know really???
    BUT I've been playing elec bass since I was 11y.o.(44 now) & the EUB for 5 yrs. Gigging with it evry week for the last 4 1/2 yrs. all without a problem with the bass. I have done some minor upgrades to it.:- a new bridge, replaced the cheapo preamp in it w/ a Fishman Platinum+pro, & it sounds darn good. Back to the tuner..........
    The LOW E string tuner has stopped working! It turns but does not move the peg(or where the string is wound around) therefore I'm unable to tune it! :bawl: It's STILL playable- just the E string is now an Eb string :p
    Can anyone give me a hint in how to remedy this problem. I DO have a set of replacement tuners, that LOOK like they'd fit, BUT I've never done thgis type of thing before & don't wanna go blindly in!!!
    Replacing pick ups, new pots, jack plugs.......-i.e. soldering is cool w/ me, bu that's about the extent of my bass specific handy work-other than a decent set up & fret levelling.... None of this matters for THIS particular problem tho.???????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Rod.

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I saw this happen once on the "B" of a 5-string Clev. The electric bass tuner I think was from Shaller. The shaft had a flat spot which kept the gear wheel from rotating, but with EUB tension, it became rounded over time. I simply drilled a hole radially into the gear (between two teeth) and on into the shaft, then pinned it. It was a very quick and easy repair. I did it on the instrument, but it might be tricky with a regular power drill. If you can get ahold of a flex shaft Dremel-type tool, you will have an easier time. Also, the tuners are not hard to remove. To be safe, you should probably pull it off anyway.
    Robobass

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I don't know which machines you have, but it sounds like the metal clips/fixtures that hold the key in place have moved or bent so it does not engage the roller gear. Is that the case?

I'd be less concerned about mechanical parts like tuners than soldering iron tasks, it's all just physical logic. I think you'll find bass guitar tuners are used for EUBs all the time, and that's cool as long as they are heavy duty enough to handle the larger strings and tension. I prefer the type that has a screw that adjusts tension so you can fine tune it for the specific need. You can compare measurements of what you have, perhaps remove and either repair or replacement funky one and take it from there.

Dive on in, the water's fine!

4. Thanks for your replies.
    Robobass-the prob seems more like what Bob described below yrs,
    Bob- Thanks again for your reply- That seems exactly the prob. the 'worm'(is that the right word??)drive part is not engaging the roller gear so the tuning peg(elephant ear type) turns-but doesn't engage the gear! (while I'm talking to you- thanks for the Platinum + pre amp- helps make (along w/ the mods I've done)this cheapo bass sound pretty darn good!!)
    I see what U mean from your reply. I DO have a spare set of 'elephant ear' type tuners- so I'll try taking it off today!
    [QUOTE}I'd be less concerned about mechanical parts like tuners than soldering iron tasks, it's all just physical logic.{QUOTE}
    YOU might be... I don't seem to be very logically minded- "it's my feminine side" ;-)

I'll let you know how I go.
    Thanks,
    Rod.

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    When you take off the OEM tuner check to see if the clasps that hold the worm gear have loosened, allowing it to move away from the gear. You may be able to repair it.

6. Took it off yest. A couple of the TEETH of the GEAR have broken :-/

So for now I've wound it back on 'carefully - so that it's 'sort of ' 180 degrees away from the winder. Other wise I'll have to try & find another gear to fit. The Tuners I had don't fit. - Not long enough shafts to let the string wind on to!
    I DON'T think any of the 'worm gear parts've loosened , but WILL check that also thanks.

Any Suggestions???
    Do YOU carry little wheel Gears Bob? Should I send you the one off mine to see if you could match it up??? I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks again,
    Rod

7. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Tuners are pretty unique onto themselves. I'd check with the retailer who sold you the instrument, they should have access to spare parts. We only have complete, full size machines for URB, and smaller ones, those that are used on the Eminence EUB.

8. I see, I actually took off the gear(li'l wheel w/ teef....;-) So I'm currently trying to find someone that can match this!!! Any suggestions!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021