1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repeating songs at a paying gig? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tspallone, Sep 25, 2013.

1. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I've been playing with a couple guys for a few months at a rehearsal studio, just to keep the live thing going and the drummer came in with a paying gig. It's been very disorganized from the beginning in my opinion and it's a jazz standard type of thing but, it does move to open blues jams. Problem is, we're basically a 3 piece and are having a hard time getting keys and more importantanly a sax player to play melodies. It's a low key gig at a farmers market and the pay is way more than I'd get working an hourly wage a Target but, we've got 6 songs for a 2 hour gig. AND, the sax player that's supposed to sit in missed the 2nd to last rehearsal and we've only played with him once. We've got about 10 days to the gig. Like I said, it's a no pressure thing and the drummer who set the whole thing up doesn't feel that playing a 6 song set 3 or 4 times is going to be a problem. Probably not but, I'm uneasy about it. I sent them all some sheet music and some mp3's to long, easy songs that I feel could act as filler and some EVERYONE knows or, SHOULD know. (Do it again (Steely Dan)....Rise (Herb Albert)) but, it was shot down to favor playing the 6 bits over and over again.

What are your thoughts on this. I'm gonna do it, of course but, I could have added an easy 30 minutes to the set only to have to repeat the whole things twice, which, I think is acceptable but, barely.

Thanks.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Farmers market will be high turnover crowds. Nobody will even hear all six songs. Go do the gig and have fun with it. The best place to practice is on stage!

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    repeating a song or two during a 4 hour bar set I could live with. Repeating the same 6 songs over and over I could not. If it turns into a blues thing then why repeat those 6 songs. How many 12 bar blues songs could you throw together in one practice? Many should be the answer.......

4. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I agree with the best place to practice part but throw in some easy blues in E or A and you could fill some time between those same songs at least. And yes, have some fun.....

5. Unless requested - NEVER!!!

6. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    We only EVER repeated songs if they were requested.....doesn't mean it's wrong, just something I've never done in the past 37+ years

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Dude, it's a farmers market.

8. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Nope, no way. Huge pet peeve of mine. There are s million songs in the world. No need go repeat any- ever.

9. Oh okay. Well then, Unless requested - NEVER!!! :scowl:

10. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Oh my Gawd! The drunks will hear the same song twice? How can it be? Some of you guys need to take this stuff WAY less serious.
    I have repeated songs from the first set in the last set. No-one cared. Ever. Usually it isn't even the same people there by that point, or there were very few people at our first set.

11. +1. Unless requested.

12. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I'm getting the feeling that you guys are split on this, as I am.

Frankly, I'm against it. BUT, as was said, it's a friggin farmers market!!!!! Enjoy the autumn day playing music (albeit 4 times a song) and take the money and buy my girlfriend lunch.

Can anything be without some angst?

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I think someone might notice. Then again, maybe not.

I think someone might notice. Then again, maybe not.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thank you. Man, a lot of guys around here take themselves (and apparently farmers markets) WAAAAAY too seriously!

15. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    There are no small parts, only small players!

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, there are at least TWO of us! I'm with you. A lot of people here try to make rocket surgery out of rock n roll.

I bet you guys are no fun taking kids to a theme park either! "Dad, I wanna ride that again!"
    "No way! We already did that! That would be REPEATING!"

(By the way, in case you missed it, live music is just about as serious as a theme park. Both are entertainment. If you take music more seriously than a theme park you are missing a GOLDEN opportunity to have some FUN!)

Glad I'm not in a band with you guys.

17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Here's the problem: It's a PAYING gig, so your goal is to be asked back. BUT, if you repeat songs, those who hired you may not necessarily like this. And they may not ask you back.

OR, suppose there's someone in the audience who may be looking for a band for some party or function. Trust me, you don't want to repeat songs. You always want to put your best foot foreword. Just sayin'.

18. Just throw in some jazz standards... How hard is it to play some stuff from the Real Book? Pick a few tunes you all are familiar with and go for it.

19. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I hear ya Two Fingers but, personally, I don't find playing the same song over and over again FUN. I don't do it at home. But, I get your "just do it and have a good time" attitude. That's what I'm a gonna do!

20. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    It's a farmers' market...don't sweat it! Play whatever you guys want to fill the time and it'll be fine.