1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replace active/passive switch with sliding switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DerekW, Jun 29, 2014.

1. I'm going to replace an old preamp with a bass mods preamp that has an active/passive switch.
    Although I'm not (completely)opposed to drilling a hole in the front of my bass for the switch, I had a thought of replacing it with a dip switch or more like a sliding switch mounted to the control plate on the back.
    Does such a switch exist?

2. What kind of sliding switch? The kind you see on 120V/240V switches on various equipment would be best suited for control plate mounting, as they are recessed, but they aren't typically easy to switch. You have to dig your nail in, or use a screwdriver. On the other hand, the kind of slide switch you see on Fenders would be easier to use, but more prone to accidental switching.

3. Great description with the 120/240v switch, that's exactly what I was thinking!
    And yeah, as it's on the back, I wouldn't want it easy to switch.

Now, is there such a switch anyone knows of for this situation?

4. Well, there are hundreds of thousands of them. Pick one off of Mouser or Digikey or something. I would suggest one rated for a low current, as you don't want a heavy duty switch.

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Curious, why don't you replace one of the pots with a pot with a push/pull switch? They have them in different values.

6. Ironically, the first preamp was set up that way, but when I did a test fit, the "double" pot was too deep to fit into the control cavity, couldn't get the cover back on. So I exchanged it.
    The more I look at the multitude of wires soldered to the switch, I'm thinking I'll just use it.
    Alternatively, I Don't really "need" the active/passive switch, so maybe I'll see about taking it out as an option.

7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I fully understand. Thought I would save you from doing what I did by mounting a switch to the back then regretting doing so as I ended up doing what I suggested to you and regretted the hole it left.

8. Yeah, I appreciate that, not a huge fan of drilling a hole in the front of a custom made bass, but the switch is pretty small, not to obtrusive and may be handy.
    Still thinking about it till Im ready to commit.
    Or maybe just fork out some dough for a different style preamp, bartolini/Aguilar, etc.

The bassmods preamp is pretty huge, I'll have to see if it'll even fit with the battery in there.