Replace Ampeg 8-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What cab REALLY replaces the 8-10 sealed cab. REALLY?
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK

Perhaps a Tech Soundsystems ND612, a 212 was crazy enough when I played it. Sure they're ported but they're very light, your back will thank you and when you fire one up your ears will thank you too, very articulate and clear sound, really lets the tone of your other equipment shine through.
  3. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I really like the NV series from Bergantino.
  4. I will go with the Bergantino NV series. For my sound nothing beats a sealed cab.
  5. greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    I wanna know the answer to this one also. From reading through most of the threads here my guess is the Schroeders may fill the bill. Perhaps a 410 or a couple of 12/10's?
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I can't figure these cabinets out. People are going nuts over these, just like a few years ago, people went nuts over Epifani and Bergantino, and like two years ago when people went nuts for Accugroove. I've no doubt they are great cabinets, but I can't tell from people are saying here how they sound. They are hifi, vintage, unique, and fat, all at the same time? I don't get it.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Schroeder 310212. It's louder, lower and more defined...lighter and smaller, too! I can put the cab into the back seat of my Buick all by myself! I have an Ampeg 8x10" and the Schroeder. The Schroeder blows the Ampeg away. I've played a whole lot of different cabs in my career and this is the "be all, end all" cab for me! The sound isn't vintage-like...mostly due to the tweeter, I guess. I wouldn't really call it "high-fi" either. It's not really sterile at all. Good low extension for a B string. Definately check them out. The are a little on the high side price wise...but you probably won't be Gassing for a new cab for quite a while!
  9. Does the Schroeder have the sound of a sealed cab? How much is one those badboys. If anything i would add it to my 8x10. Have you done that? :ninja:
  10. Rockbobmel

I am using a Mesa 400+. How is the cab with yours? I really dig the 8-10 with the Mesa. Sometimes I wish the 8-10 would dig deeper, but it totally has the balls!
  11. Rockbobmel

That's cause sound and definitions are so subjective. People want to rave about their new purchases and feel better about them when they get supporting input.
  12. greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    I don't know :confused: I have no personal experience with them;however after reading the mega thread I'm convinced they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. ;)
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've tried multiple Schroeder cabs under multiple conditions, and I guess I do hear the Ampeg 8x10 analogy. They are both punchy, have some similar midrange tonality, and at least to my ears, I hear a "drone tone" with all of the Schroeder cabs that reminds me of the sound of some classic "Ampeg with a pick" recordings.

But, if I were going to replace an Ampeg 8x10, I'd want all of the mojo, but with more clarity, better tone, same sealed cab design, but a more compact package. In other words, Bergantino NV610.

I'm sure I'll catch some heck for this, but that's my opinion.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm really wanting to A/B my 810e with Pat's NV610. I LOVE the cab, tone and projection rocks, weight aint an issue, but the size can suck a bit....big and bulky to take in an out of the house. If I had a garage, I wouldn't care the least bit. I kept it in my jeep forever, but recently sold it so it's bulk is quickly becoming a bit of an issue.

If I were to go with another cab, I'd like something MUCH smaller. The NV610 is somewhat smaller, but still big enough to become a pain in the arse. I am giving some thought of trying the schroeder 1210, but don't have a lot of interest in a horn (or any high freq drivers) these days, and not sure at all how it would sound with an SVT.

I know the NV610's are great, but I will personally believe they are hands above better on tone and projection when I hear it myself.....not that I wouldn't trust Tom's word by any means, I am just stubborn like that :) I bet they are actually pretty close when compared A/B.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want a cab that sounds like the 810 but is louder, has better lows, and is smaller, the Bergie 610 is that cab.
  16. Bump.

SO... what other companies make SEALED 8x10 cabinets?
  17. I think people (at least gearheads) 'go nuts' over these cabs because it's rare that relatively innovative stuff is introduced. The EpifaniUL's really introduced a lot of us to Neo speaker technology (it still blows my mind that I can do a painfully loud funk gig with 500 watts and a 57 pound cab!), the Accugroove does have a unique design and sound, and currently the Schroeder's are very different from everything else... primarily due to their huge volume relative to their small size.

I love the EpiUL's, I like the Schroeder's and respect them for their 'size to ooomph ratio', and really don't like the Accugroove sound myself. The Berg NV line seems unique to me (hi quality sealed 'vintage' sounding cabs). So, I think the 'raving' is justified, as long as TBer's who don't like these particular cabs post to balance things out and give other TBer's a somewhat balanced picture. All these cabs are unique and worth the buzz... but that doesn't mean you will like the tone!

Regarding the Schroeder sound... IMO they are as far from hi fi or flat that you can get.... very punchy with very little low bass extenion IMO... as other's have said... somewhat in the sealed Ampeg sound family, but a little more refined and 1/10th the size and weight for the volume.
  18. This is the correct answer. :D

I'm sure the Schroeders are lovely sounding cabinets but I'd put dollars to donuts that they don't have the sealed cab vibe that a lot of 810 users crave. I've ABed my NV610 with several Ampeg 810s and it sounds almost exactly like the first generation 810s with the square backs. A bit more extension high and low but almost identical. The NV610 sounds more like the old 810 than the new 810s do.

If you're looking to replace an 810 with something that has the same sort of vibe, the NV610 is it.
  19. GK does, I believe.