Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replace my Eden rig with a "small" combo?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by armybass, Mar 12, 2006.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have an Eden WT400 with an Eden 112XLT. I think it is a fine sounding URB rig for my carved URB with a Realist but I am not at all digging lugging it around even though it is not a very big setup. I had a GK MB150E years ago but used it as a EB amp but did not have an URB at the time and have no experience with it as an URB amp. I also had a friend loan me an AI Contra I think and I liked the way it worked with my URB but did not dig it as an EB amp.

I am considering the GK mainly for size and weight. My biggest requirement for my next URB combo is that it be as small and light as possible and yet still put out enough to get me through small gigs. I will keep my other amps for larger gigs.

I am just wondering if there is anything ouot there that I could possibly be overlooking in the "small" combo department. Maybe like the SWR Strawberry Blonde?

I have not ruled out AI but there number of different products and changes to the line has be a bit confused and uninterested.

Any input is appreciated.

2. I use an Eden CXC-110+CX-110. If you like the Eden's tone, this might be a nice combo(I use the extension w/BG & just the combo for DB)for you. It is the best sounding amp I've heard for my DB, although I haven't played a lot(SVT-3pro+PR-410hlf & Hartke Kickback 12). It's pretty loud, small & not too heavy, but the main plus is the sound(again, for me. I sometimes wish I had a bit more headroom(care for a trade? j/k, more or less...), but I've never truly needed it.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Not in the MB150 league weight wise, but the iAMP500C is under 50 pounds (44 pounds) more than enough headroom for a small gig and great tone.

Just a thought.

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    An EA Wizzy 200 combo. Or a Wizzy cab with an AI head velcroed onto it. I used to play Eden 12's (a DC112XLT combo plus D112XLT cab), and loved the sound, but hated the weight (62 pounds for the combo, 45 for the cab). I've gone to an AI head plus 2 Wizzy cabs, plus a Sansamp BDDI for when I want some tube-ish warmth. I am getting ready to evaluate an iAmp head to see if I want to go all-EA. In any event, I'm a former Eden guy, who liked the sound ... and I love the tone of the Wizzy cabs. Plus they're light.

Best of luck!

5. I was pleasantly surprised by the Nemesis 2x8 combo - small, loud & still sounds like an Eden.

6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    +1

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
  8. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I really regret now selling my GK mb150 combo amp. It's really the perfect amp for small gigs and even for larger ones running an XLR to the p.a. So for now I'm stuck using my Eden WT400 (13 pound head) and Acme B-1 cab, nice and small, but the whole thing is just too big for hauling to small gigs.

I pre-ordered one of the new series III contra amps, but now I have to wait until I get some bills paid down.

Moral to the story: don't ever sell utilitarian equipment.

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This some seriously good advice. I'm well on my way to buying a Wizzy combo, but have been a satisfied GKMB user for a number of years and don't plan to part with it. I expect that there will be many occasions where I still find it the appropriate amp for the occasion. It's just too practical to let go.

I really tried to like the Contra, but as good of an idea as it is, it didn't unseat the GK for me.

Troy

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In recent years I've become a big fan of augmenting my
    small utilitarian amps with helpful little boxes. I always
    have a little Boss stompbox eq in the bag. Won't help
    volume, but great for tone shaping. Running a Sansamp
    Acoustic DI, or Ravenlabs blender in the effects loop
    in my GK MB, can change everything too. I agree, the GK
    MB's are small light, utilitarian, and loud for the size.
    Find me something better at the size, weight, and cost,
    of the GK and I'm there.

11. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Would any of you consider the SWR Strawberry Blonde? It is 40lbs but it is in my list of considerable amps.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    People do play with them and maybe one of them will reply. I demo'ed one in a store once and couldn't believe that it would work for more than a very intimate setting. The California Blonde, however, is a great amp, but bigger and heavier.

13. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, many of my gigs are just piano/guitar, vocals and bass. So I was thinking that I could get by with the SBB.

14. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think if you're looking for something to use it situations where you could almost play unamplified, a lot of things would work. Maybe someone will comment on the Strawberry Blonde, but I know the WM10 works in that situation and I think has a bit more power and can be had CHEAP on the slightly used market. I know someone who uses an LA12 in that setting and it works.

There seems to be a resurgence of support for the GK MB150's. They sound great at that volume and will scale way up from there, whereas I expect if something like the SB will work at the volume, there's not a lot of room above it. Used GK's can be found for $500 or less, or you could pry mine from my cold, dead hand. :)

Actually, I think at those volumes you might be really happy with the little AI combos too. Lots of things sound good at really low volumes, it's when you start to turn them up and look to them to help you carry through the mix that things go wonky.

15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Good point and well taken. I think the GK would serve better as a being smaller, lighter and louder.

16. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Mike, I did see it but I am looking for a new amp to last many years I hope. That is a pretty lofty goal given my track record.

17. Hey Scott,

I can't recommend the GK highly enough for your gig. I did that very thing since the late 80's with my 200mb and it's never given me a lick of trouble and shows no signs of trouble any time soon either.

It's the single piece of gear I've kept that long...

I think even buying them new is a great investment.

Good luck!

Tony

18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks Tony and truth be told, I would have probably grabbed yours if I had the cash but I had to use my MF Card.:meh: :eyebrow:

19. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm really tickled with the rebirth of public love for this combo. I know that there have been a strong silent user group of these, but not a lot of talk about them.

Troy

20. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Even though I regrettably sold the mb150 combo, I do still have my trusty GK 200mb that I purchased new in 1988. It works well, but it's just a tiny bit not loud enough for my current gigs. I might use it this Friday anyway and run an XLR to the p.a. Easier than carrying the Eden/Acme B1.

...strangely it does emit noise when it's turned off and plugged into the wall.