Replacement 15" drivers for Orange.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmbstudios, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Been reading a lot on replacement speakers and the right fit for the cabinet.

So Im gonna throw this line out there for help.

I have an Orange Reflector cab, 2x15. Right now it has some black widows in it. They are blown, but are the ones that you can buy a new basket and bolt it on to the magnet and your back in business. These replacements are around $80 each.

Now.... I would also like some suggestions on replacement speakers. I dont need to make the earth shake, just some reliable speakers. And I dont want to break the bank!

Suggestions?

Here is a pic of a reflector cabinet to give you a visual.

OR15f.jpg

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    lemme get this right... you don't need to make the earth move yet you have a 2x15 folded horn cabinet... doin' my best Columbo head scratch...

I was looking at MojoTone this morning. They have a Celestion 15 under a hun. Eminence Delta 15 seems to be pretty forgiving cab wise. Normally I'd be saying go neo for the weight savings but... with that beast, it's like putting lipstick on a pig (weight wise, I mean) no doubt you have a hand truck and a roadie :)

I did see the Em 3015 down to $140 this weekend. That driver also seems pretty forgiving to me.

The right way to do this of course is to figure out the chamber volume and porting (if any) and run some numbers in WINIsd.

3. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    OK.. I should have stated that I would like to get this running. ITs not a daily driver.

It's one of those pieces that will sit in a studio and will be ready for battle when needed.

I will rarely use it, but would like to have it running when I need it.

I did look at the EM Kappalites(sp?) 3015. I think 140 is a decent price for some replacements.

Uhhhh run the numbers.... Uhhhh.... what???? I just wanna put something in and make it go..

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That's the problem, it's not just as simple as putting a couple of 15" drivers into a box. You could be lucky and it will work fine but the most likely outcome is a crapshoot at best. I'd contact Orange and find out what speakers are supposed to be in that box. IMO it's the best way to go.

5. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Wow. Had no idea. I have replaced bass speakers before, a long time ago, and have always had great results. I must be lucky.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Fairly sure this cab predates being clever with maths and speaker design and won't be designed for anything in particular. Especially of note is that it isn't a direct radiator so WinISD won't apply very well. The horn is too short for proper horn loading in the lows too, so it is probably gonna act like a horn in the mids and like a weird direct radiator lower. It will never have modern engineered cab flat response. The Kappalites will probably sound fine, but be wasted potential. The original speakers probably had specs that would be considered guitar drivers by today's standards.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, this doesn't look like a horn but rather like HVAC duct work. The fifteens are probably crammed back-to-back into a small box and each fires into its own HVAC duct. If you can get the internal measurements of the box the speakers are installed in (and whether or not it's sealed, but I expect it is), then that'd be a good place to start.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Too bad you don't have access to original drivers. You could snag the T-S parameters with Woofer Tester 2 off of them and then have a benchmark for future candidates.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Josh, is the speaker chamber sealed ? Can you measure thething and get the approximate volume of the chamber ?

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Many, many F/H cab's were available in the 70's using EV 15's aka SRO drivers. Some of them were actually very well designed and engineered. The original EV Sentry boxes for instance. IIRC EV also punlished their design in the hopes that constructors would be buying their drivers.

There was some swill out there as well.

Orange copped the TL606 as a design for one of their bins, maybe they copped this one as well - kinda why I jumped on the KL 3015 ...

11. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Well I think I will order from MF when I pull the trigger. That way if they don't work out I can send them back.

12. Utah

Utah

Apr 28, 2012
    Madrid, A Coruña (Spain)
    Endorsing Artist: George Amps
    The original speakers for that cabinet are 15" Fane 8 Ohm.
    I got the same cabinet

13. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That cab is Awesome. I put Eminence Deltas 15's in all my old British cabs. They are about the only 16 ohm option these days, two wired series parallel will give you a 8 ohm cab.

14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I had a huge Carvin 2x15 folded horn cabinet back in the 70's which had a pair of pretty inexpensive CTS speakers. I drove it with an SVT head. It sounded fantastic, and actually had some decent high mids and highs. I had some EV SRO's and put a pair of them in the cabinet, but after one gig, put the CTS back in. They simply sounded better in that cabinet. The West 2X15 ported cabinet I had sounded better with the SRO's.

15. ivan_sc

ivan_sc

Apr 21, 2015
    Just to bring this elderly thread up to date, I bought one of the Orange 2x15" cabinets new, without speakers (dont remember how or where) but I put a pair of 150watt Altec Lansings in it and the throw that those parabolic reflectors gave you was HUGE! Love to know if that cabinet is still around, as I doubt anyone could have blown it up & I also doubt anyone else had access in the UK to those 15" Altecs. Talk about a blast from the past!

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Who let the Zombies out??

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    ...and the zombies brought up parabolic reflectors too, though of course that's not true except in the zombie world. Speaking of Zombies, I rode in an equine theatre show for 3 weeks with the horse trainer for The Walking Dead... does that count for something?

3rdcurve likes this.
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Only if you didn’t survive!! LOL

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Y’know Andy, if you ever visit my fair city let me know ‘cos I’d love to buy you dinner!! :D

agedhorse likes this.
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don't eat brains ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021