Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement 15" Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by radio_clash, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Hey,

At the moment I'm running my Ashdown Electric Blue180 head through 2 Skytec (no name) 1x15 PA Bass cabs, I only paid £50 each, so I wasnt expecting much, I'm looking to replace the stock speakers as these things have A)No high end whatsoever and B)No headroom...
    I'm probably going to put something of around 250watts in each cab, and was wondering if you had any reccomendations, please bare in mind I have no horns or tweeters so this speaker will have to provide a fair bit of high end

Any help would be great

Dave

2. If they are PA subs they were probably designed to only punch the bass and real low end, not for instrument use

with the way the cab is tuned i dont know if a good speaker will sound like a bass cab speaker or not in them

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Fifteens pretty much don't have high end. It's the nature of the beast. You'd do better to replace one with a good driver and put one or two tens above it for the upper end. To determine what to put in the cab you have you'll have to use a box progran like WinISD and reverse engineer the cabinet to see what drivers are compatable with it.

4. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I have an old Traynor "2150" cabinet for 2 15's and would like to replace the current speakers (some EV's from some old PA scoops...I just threw them in there when the original ones were shot). I was hoping to find something where I could simply plug in the inside dim's of the cabinet and get some recommended speaker spec's to look for a compatible speaker for the box. I believe each 15 is seperate in the cab and has a port or slot that is ~1-2" high and runs the width of the cab.
    I was also wondering if it was possible to make use of this cab as a sub (just a thought...although I doubt it because it isn't nearly as deep a box as subs usually are).
    Does WinISD do this? Or is there any other programs out there where I can do this? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

gg

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Box programs are intended for designing new cabinets, not retrofitting old ones. You can do it, but you have to start by modeling a particular driver and then substitute the recommended box and port dimensions with those of your existing box to see what happens. I'm not aware of any program that will recommend a driver for an existing alignment.

6. I have a spread sheet that does that.

If one knows the Vb and Fb, they can sort the sheet and find the (closest) matching driver.

Link to Spread Sheet

7. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    I think I understand the problem:
    If the speaker was designed as a subwoofer or subwoofer/woofer, it would not have much response over 2kHz.
    IF you were to get a speaker designed for woofer/mid-base you would get a decent response up to 3.5-3.7kHz.
    I'm dealing with the same problem. I have and Ashdown MAG combo with a single 15" speaker. I use either PA support or a 210 cab for gigs. I miss the 2-3.5kHz range at practice.

I ran accross this at the Avatar website (www.avatarspeakers.com)
    It might work if you can use a 4 ohm speaker
    Eminence 15 inch Neodymium bass speaker.. new overstocked oem version of the deltalite 2515 - meaning it is the same speaker but with a normal looking center dust cap instead of the pointed metal one and it has the regular spade lug wire terminals instead of the fancy push terminals. 4 ohm speaker, .its the same one we used in our B115H NEO bass cabs 300 watts...now discontined , we ran out of cabs before running out of speakers...new overstock, see eminence.com for specs ...$ 65. each plus $12 each shipping..

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Stay away from that, it's a dog, that's why Eminence discontinued it.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I just bought a 2512 off ebay that says it's a first series, but the pics show the push in terminals and mesh dust cap....so, are these dogs too? I have a gig friday, and theoreticaslly will be using this speaker then, so I'll have my opinion then.:D

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The only Deltalite worth squat was the 2510. All the Deltalite IIs are good, as are the Kappalites.