1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement 15'' speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hann947, Mar 23, 2013.

1. hann947

hann947

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have an old Fender Bassman cab which I dont know much about and the speaker has blown.

Before going out and buying the first 15'' speaker I find, I was wondering if anyone knew the sort of one I should be looking at.

I think the cab was made around 1975 if thats any use.

Cheers!

edit..

Added the pictures in case anyone wanted to see it

Attached Files:

2. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    you cannot simply go out and stuff any old speaker into any old box simply because the holes line up.

A driver is matched to the volume of the cabinet, so either:
    1. do your research and find the correct replacement, or
    2. go through the calculations and source another driver to math your cab volume, or
    3. toss it all and buy another cab.

3. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Yup - even back then they engineered cabs.
    Cabinet volume is one consideration but, it looks like a shelf port and that complicates things a bit. Someone, somewhere has to know what driver was used.
    Send Fender customer support an email.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Post the internal dimensions of the cab and it's ports, if any. The old Bassmams want a 4ohm speaker but you have a different amp there.

Also output needs (how loud it needs to be/what type of gigs/PA support or not), desired tone (bright/bassy/like to double on guitar), what type of amp (power and impedance) and of course budget.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Or you could take measurements and call the guys a US speaker. They will run it through the software for you and offer as many suggestions as you want to hear. I recently ordered 4 10s from them for a project and the guy must have spent a half hour on the phone with me making sure I got exactly what I wanted. And the cab sounds amazing so he knows what he's talking about.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

6. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    I bet an old JBL or EV would probably do just fine. I might know a guy that's selling a JBL actually.

7. Question is what speaker is in there now? It may be good to have it re-coned.

8. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Another vote for US Speaker. Got a nice deal on a replacement Eminence Neo 15" from them a few years back. Depending on the amp output you have there, a 15" from the Eminence Delta line would probably be a good fit.