1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Bridge for EB-3 copy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I posted on here a few days ago about a bass I am restoring, with the intention of putting a hipshot 2-point supertone in; however, after some research, I decided I either wanted to keep the current bridge (a Badass 1 bridge that was modded by the previous owner to fit the short scale) or to use a Schaller 3d-4 I have (since it has adjustable saddles I figure it may be a better choice).

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this mod? I like the BA bridge, but the saddles were not modded very well and I'm concerned they might have been responsible for some fretbuzz I was having on the bass (I could be totally wrong, though - I'm no setup pro). I think Mike Watt used both, so I know they'll get the job done - I just want to play this thing again! The schaller is great and I like the fact that I can adjust the saddles which is not the case with the BA.

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I still believe you would be better off with the Epiphone 3-point bridge, as it is designed for the bass, probably only needs the 3rd hole drilled, will look authentic to the instrument, will have stability and proper adjustable saddles, and there is one for sale in Classifieds right now for $10.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

First the badass has not much to do with fret buzz other than if the saddles are too low. The frets uniformity of level, relief and straightness of the neck dictate how low action can go without buzz. So the badass isn't to blame just because the slots are a little messy.

I don't get what lilpopes is saying about a three point being the right choice. The EB3 was around for 11 or 12 (61 was first year of the eb3 and three point was released in '73) years before it got the tripod, it originally had a two point bridge like the OPs originally had.

The Hipshot two point is an excellent choice but there is nothing wring with the Schaller if the spacing can be set to work with the narrow Gibson neck; it's baseplate is a pretty big footprint though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    I'm talking about the newer Asian Epiphone bridges like on the Jack Cassady and the EB-0/3 basses. The three point bridge, even if the third hole has to be drilled on the bass to accommodate it, is a much more stable design that will stay better in tune and has sufficient travel on the saddles to intonate properly. It has the proper string spacing, and it fits the holes for the two stud anchors that are already there. It is also inexpensive. The bridges being discussed above, forgive my bluntness, are more expensive new than the EB-copy bass that the OP is trying to get running again, is worth.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ah. I see. The part where you said "as it is designed for the bass" I found to be patently wrong.

But I respect your concern about the op's wallet. Your suggestion is a good one if he has access to a drill press and is handy. Potential Pitfalls to every choice here.

6. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    The copy doesn't have the same spacing as the epi basses, so I'd have to re drill, which I don't want to do. I'm more interested in working with what I've got currently.

7. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Well, Darn the luck. Another idea bites the dust. Sorry.

The next idea is to contact BadAss and see if they will send you a set of saddles without notches for your current bridge, and possibly some longer bridge saddle screws, if necessary, so you can adapt your current bridge to the proper geometry.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Sure it's cool they got into the Gibson game. Either way to go... drilling will be required. Choose wisely.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021