Replacement Neck for 3 Bolt 1978 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by louloomis, Apr 26, 2014.

1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 1978-ish 3 bolt Fender Jazz bass body (all hardware intact, including neck plate) which needs a replacement neck. I don't want to convert it to a 4 bolt neck.

I contacted Warmoth and they said their necks wouldn't work with a 3 bolt, even if I removed all the tilt-adjust hardware, etc. (they said). Something to do with the location of the truss rod adjustment.

So, with the exception of buying a vintage Fender Jazz neck from a similar era which is also 3 bolt, what other manufacturer makes a Jazz dimension neck which I could use?

Sorry if this has been asked in the past.

Thanks in advance.

LouLoomis

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I believe the neck pockets are the same size, so anything with a truss rod adjustment at the headstock should work. It seems like it would be pretty easy to install the micro tilt hardware as well. Unless there is something I am missing.

3. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks. So far, I'm only seeing this as a potential (i.e. unverified) replacement: Mighty Mite

It looks like the Warmoth and USACG both have truss rod adjustments that are at the neck pocket end of the neck (as opposed to the nut).

Any other ideas on this would be really appreciated. Anyone have any experience doing this work? BTW, I don't need to have the micro tilt integrated at all. I just need the three bolts to work.

Thanks.
    LL

4. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  5. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    MightyMite or MIM Fender replacements are about the only ones I know of that have the adjustment at the headstock. I would go with MightyMite over the MIM Fender. They are every bit as good for about $100 less.

6. any fender style neck will work regardless of truss adjustment orientation. warmoth included.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    With the bottom screw going directly in the center of the neck heal it will hit the truss rod nut. I guess you could get away with it if you used a threaded insert, and a screw that only screwed into the neck about 3/8". But it really needs to be a headstock adjustment.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I would try to find a vintage correct neck for a replacement. It will keep the value of the bass up, and will install easily if it's already 3 bolt like yours is.

9. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    What happened to the original neck?

10. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    What happened to the original neck? I don't know - I didn't buy it with the original neck on it.

11. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Question: Will a 75 RI neck with the neck tilt hardware on it fit perfectly? I would so, but you never know....

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 75 RI necks (bound and blocked with bullet truss rod, etc.)?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021