Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement of SRO 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by God's Element, Sep 27, 2005.

1. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    hello,

I have a Leslie 122 cabinet with a 250 watt amp and an EV SRO 15" speaker for the lows. The magnet is the old white can style. It sounds great and has little to no distortion at all. I hope it never goes out, but if it does, where can I get it fixed, and what would be a great modern replacement.

thanks,

joseph

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Heh, you can't have mine. :) (actually, mine is a newer one than yours; mine has a black heatsink around the magnet) Seriously, I think the EV-M series 15 sounds enough like it that you'd never hear the difference; at least, I don't hear a difference. I would assume any speaker repair place can recone an EV, but I'm not so sure you'd want to take it to any old place. So, I'll wait for someone to tell us about an awesome speaker rebuilding place, because I worry about my SRO, too.

3. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    Also, does anyone know the tect specs for the my vintage EV SRO 15"? Particularly the Xmax. Not only am I looking for a place to service it, but I am also looking for a modern replacement if need be. I was told that it will never blow out but I like to be prepared for the worst.

thanks for your replys,

joseph

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The SRO dates to the late '60s, early '70s, T/S specs might not be available. The xmech wasn't much, less than the EVM15B (also no longer in production) that replaced it; the current EV DL15 would work. A less expensive option would be the Eminence Delta Pro 15, which Eminence modeled pretty close to the EVM15B.

5. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    I was thinking of the delta pro LF or the Kappa LF becuase the "LF" series offers more bass responce. Which of those two would work for my situation? I am using it for my Hammond B-3 which uses the 15" speaker for LOUD lows and mids. would the Kappa be over kill?
    I also need a spacer for the xmax. where can i find those?

thanks

joseph

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I figure you could either scavenge a gasket from another speaker or make one out of plywood...

As for the SROs...I'm not sure when Thiele and Small published their original works and the industry started offering T-S parameters, but it was after the SRO name was sold to Kustom and the EV cast frame designs were updated to become the EVMs (which was about '74 ish IIRC).

Heck, EV didn't even publish the Thiele-Small parameters for the first generation EVMs AFAIK (my early spec sheets don't show them).

I used to have my EVs reconed by WeberVST, but it appears (from their website) that they don't do it any longer.

I've used www.circuitshop.com in Michigan for reconing a PAS 10 and they did a fine job...the shop photo on their website shows an old EV 30W sitting on the floor so I'm sure that they could take good care of your SRO.

My first good bass cabinet back in '74 or so was an EV designed TB style box with two SRO 15s. The cabinet was built by my bass teacher (he sold me the 2x15 and kept the two 1x15s). One of the SROs had just been reconed by EV and they used an EVM style kit (accordian surround, smooth cone rather than the SRO style surround and ridged cone). So an EVM kit should work just fine.

7. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    thanks for the info Billy,

I am looking into that repair shop you suggested. What would be a killer modern replacement for the SRO?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm the wrong guy to ask...the most modern 15 I own is an EVM...

Perhaps Bill Fitzmaurice can help out... In an earlier post he indicated that an Eminence Delta 15 Pro is close to an EVM 15B which has diminished top end compared to an EVM 15L.

If it's a low power application, WeberVST has their Michigan series, which are probably EV-like. I think the Weber's are only 100 watt speakers or something like that.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Brownell Sound are the guys I use for reconing. They do great work.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's no Delta Pro LF. A Kappa Pro LF would offer at least twice the excursion and a far lower fs than an SRO, but you'll lose high end.

11. jtosadomusic

jtosadomusic

Aug 16, 2011
  12. jtosadomusic

jtosadomusic

Aug 16, 2011
    I also looking for 2 pair of sro/15 use or broken.