1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeff5311, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm looking to put a different preamp in my Fender Custom Classic Jazz Fiver.

The Fender preamp seems to get really low, and really bright, but I can't seem to dial in any "warmth."

I was wondering if there's a preamp on the market that will allow:

1) passive option (with the ability to blend choose neck or bridge pickup)
    2) has both an active "tone" control and passive tone control

I know the Sadowsky preamp fits this, but I think it's boost only (not boost and cut), and doesn't have a mid control.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You might be boosting too much. Keep the treble flat, and boost the bass a little. Like to 3. That should give you a warmer tone. If you want it warmer, decrease the treble slightly.

3. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks David!

Yeah, with everthing set flat it's still boomy to my ears and really clicky / trebly.

Cutting the bass a little helps with some of the boominess, but even if I cut the treble completely, it only seems to cut the super highs.

It's like the preamp has the wrong centers for my tastes. I don't know the specs, but the bass boost/cut seems to have a really low center and treble boost/cut a really high center.

Of course, I'd also like the flexibility to go passive (especially if the battery dies).

So... I guess I'm looking for a new preamp suggestions.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, sounds like the center frequencies are not your liking. That's what sets one preamp apart from another.

Or you may need different sounding pickups or even strings.

5. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep. Already swapped pickups and strings (multiple times). I'm convinced it's the voicing of the preamp.

So... again, anyone have advice on a preamp with the options listed above? Of course, I could just sell the bass, but it plays so well.

6. I think you may like the East J-retro. It's got active/passive and is a drop-in replacement. It doesn't look like it has a passive tone knob, but I think it will probably get the warm tone you're looking for. The treble knob has a lower center frequency and there's a variable mid.

7. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks! Is there no way to select / blend pickups in passive mode with that preamp?

I wonder if Mr. East will wire one the way I'd like?

8. I believe it has active and passive blend options.