1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacement PUs for AFR PJ on Ibanez SR, need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GCYPbass, Mar 29, 2013.

1. GCYPbass

GCYPbass

Mar 29, 2013
    London, Cyprus
    Hello TBers,

I know it seems that I am new but I was a member of the forum with different username which I wanted to change so I closed my account and registered again. So HELLO ALL AGAIN

I need some suggestions especially from Ibanez SR (with vari-mid 3band EQ) users and reggae players.

I am thinking of changing AFR PJ pickups on my Ibanez SR (old japanese ones with vari-mid 3band EQ) but cannot decide which one to go with.

I mostly play reggae/dub and so I need fat, deep and round lows. (it would be good if they can give funk sound as well) :)

Suggestions are welcomed :)

Thanks,

GC

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I still have my '92 SR-800*, which was my first "Upgrade" Bass from my Beginner's (since then defretted) & '96 SR-1206 Six-String and have been thinking about replacing the original stock P/J and Soapbar pickups and Preamp. I have the feeling that Ibanez were shooting for their own in-house EMG-type clean & punchy Pickups with their AFR (Active Full Range) P, J & Soapbar pickups and 2-Band and later Vari-Mid EQ Preamps, which were the equivalent of EMGs BTS System (Volume/Blend/Treble/Bass) & BQC System (Volume/Blend/Stacked Treble & Bass/Stacked Mids Boost & Cut & Mid Frequency). So if you generally like the tone that you've had I'd recommend going with EMGs. However, it might be hard to get that deep, throbbing Dub tone from a P/J combination set, EMG Active Pickups, and an Active Preamp in general. You might want to try going Passive with a set of good P & J Pickups but rolling off most of the J-pup tone. I'd try calling the fine people and Best Bass Gear.com, discussing it with them, and see what they recommend. I went through them to order my custom wound & sized Nordstrand Big Singles for my Custom Spector Euro Bolt-On DLX FM & EX 4-String Fretted, 5-String Fretted & Fretless, and they made things as easy as possible!

*I'm also consistently surprised that Ibanez doesn't bring back or license their old AccuCast-B IV Bridge, whose overall saddle height was adjustable from a plate they rested on that matched the radius of the fretboard, and therefore made setups and tweaking incredibly easily. A fantastic bridge design that should be brought back by *some* company! :meh:

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  3. GCYPbass

GCYPbass

Mar 29, 2013
    London, Cyprus
    Thanks for your reply Ian. I really love my SR because of its playability but I am not very satisfied with the sound I have (I do not mean it sound horrible) while playing reggae and it is the style I play mostly. It is kind of muddy and not very clear and smooth when I cut trebles and boost bass. I am more satisfied with my ATK's lows but the neck kills me :)

I contacted best bass gear.com via email and they returned to me very quickly. Chris is a very good and helpful guy. He gave me some good suggestions but I would like to know what the experiences of TBers and what would they suggest. I am sure there many SR and reggae players here.

4. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The P/J setup by definition is designed for a more punchy kind of sound imho. I'd suggest something like the SRXs which have humbuckers with huge low end. Of course they will also have an aggressive upper range, but you're going to roll the treble off, right?
    Those are available everywhere used for about what you'd pay for a set of pickups.
    Go here: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm
    and type in Ibanez SRX and choose Bass as the category. There's a bunch of them under $200 including a gorgeous sunburst one like I have.