Replacement speaker for Ag GS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monkey, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Has anyone replaced a Aguilar GS112 speaker?

I've had two GS112s for about a year, and recently one of them started "farting" during a gig. I tested it at home, and it is distorting even at low volumes. I've been powering them with a Sansamp RBI and a Yamaha CP2000. I usually run the amp bridged (2,000 watts at 4 ohms) for lots of headroom. This is obviously a lot more power than the speakers are rated for (300 watts), but I've never noticed any distortion until this speaker went, and the clip light on my amp has never even flickered.

Any suggestions on a good replacement speaker?
  2. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Aguilar sells replacements on their website.
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

It's probably his own fault? He admitted to putting 1,000 watts into a speaker rated at 300 watts.

Even if you buy into the argument that overpowering is "safe," the general rule of thumb is still 1.5 to 2 times the rated power, not 3.3 times the rated power.
  4. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    I think it still should be the first possiblity to explore.
    If they won't honour it, get it reconed - it will be cheaper and will possibly yield better results.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I contacted Aguilar and received a prompt reply from Geof. Even though I was careful about not overdriving the amp, I was running a lot of power through it, so I am going to purchase a new speaker from Aguilar, and will return the old speaker. Aguilar will reimburse me if the speaker is defective.
    I can live with that. I've been very happy with the sound and portability of these cabs.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how much does reconning typically cost??
  7. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yes they are a custom Eminence. But damn, they sure are hardy! I have NEVER heard mine "fart out"...even at a potential 800 watts per cab. Still have problems believing that one GS112 was as loud as my previous was! I would not put anything in my cabs other than a "genuine" replacement...and I'm a cheap bastard!

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. There's more than one way to kill a speaker. Even clean power can make a speaker move further than it is designed to, and now you have proof.