Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing an EA VL210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, May 24, 2005.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    What up fellas.

My cabs right now are 2 Aguilar GS 112s and an EA VL 210. I have a GK 700rb and a GK 1001rb II. Usually when I play loud stuff I use the EA and the GS 112. This past weekend I just used both 112s and it was fine. The only thing I wanted more was some mid-upper mid range so I can hear more of the note definition.

Really, the only reason I would be ditchng the EA is if I could find something comparable with less weight. Its not ridiculous or anything, but I figure since the Aggies are real close to what I am looking for, maybe there is a good 12 and 10 out there, or a 10 and a 8? I'd probably just keep the EA anyways, just might add another cab for configurations sake. I don't know, what do you guys think?

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think the closest you'll get to a lightweight equivalent of the VL-210, would be an NL-210. Warmer sound with not quite the subterranean LF extension but plenty of tight controlled bass. And only half the weight.

Ask Tom B - if anyone will know, he will!

Alex

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, to me, the VL-210 excells in its clarity, deep, tight lows, and ability to handle a ton of power and play very loud. It does have great midrange definition when you push it (and use an amp with enough juice), but at lower volumes and with lower amps, it doesn't shine as bright (though it is till good). Is it your feeling that it is only really adding some midrange clarity and definition? If so, then yes, there are many smaller, or at least lighter, cabs that can fit the bill. EA's own Wizzy and NL-210 both come to mind. The Bergantino HT112 also has a sweet midrange presence (though it is voiced different than the EA's - somewhat deeper midrange presence).

The LDS 8" equipped cabs might also be a great idea.

Of course, if you had two VL-210's, you might not need anything else! :D

Tom.

4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    HAlf the weight sounds like a winner! The LF is covered by those 12s so I will check it out. Thanks!

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Spot on, Alex! I wholeheartedly concur with your assessment. The NL-210 is just stupid light for its size, too.

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    HAlf the weight sounds like a winner! The LF is covered by those 12s so I will check it out. Thanks!

Yes, I really dig the low end and clarity on the 210, but there is LF goodness in those 12s, so I am considering that a marginal need right now. I am pretty much looking for a cab to keep closer to ear level so I can tell how the notes sound with everything else.

A good LDS cab? Interesting....

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    They are all good, IMHO. Don Oats really builds a quality product, and he will custom build a cab to your specific needs. Great customer service up there at LDS.

Tom.

8. For good upper mid definition and light weight I would suggest the Epifani UL 2x10.