1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing my '71 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ace666, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Ace666

Ace666

Feb 24, 2015
    After 40+ years and a lot of not so hot luthiers attentions I need and deserve a new Fender bass to supplement my '71 Jazz. I thought I had it nailed with the Fender Select Jazz bass but sadly it is discontinued.

So, put yourself in my position, it has to be a Fender Jazz bass and money is no object. Which one do I buy?

Many thanks for your input.

Ace666

2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Why not go Custom Shop if money is no object?

3. Ace666

Ace666

Feb 24, 2015
    Jim, I'm UK and a little unfamiliar with Custom Shop. Will Fender custom shop build to requirements? - I understood there were just 'set' models available - in any event can I buy direct from Fender?

Thanks

Ace

4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Late model American Standard Jazz-Excellent quality. Fit and finish has greatly improved and worth checking out.
    The newer American Vintage series has some really nice stuff.

If money is no object I would also consider Fender Custom shop stuff-master built -they build to order I believe.

5. Ace666

Ace666

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks Root - I've accessed the Fender site and are getting up to speed on Custom stuff

Ace

6. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    That Adam Clayton one looks purty nice.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The Fender Custom Shop "builds dreams." They will do anything you ask of them, just be prepared to pay for it. The only things they will not do are illegal.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I found a Fender Custom Shop Jazz, an early 60's relic, for ~$3400 out the door. It is one of the pre-built instruments, not a special order by me, and was built by two builders, aka, "team-built." Whatever. I love the instrument, and it has pretty much taken over all the passive 4-string work I do, which is a nice way to say I prefer playing it above just about everything I have. I have had it over a year, and still pick it up first.

It stands head and shoulders above any other Jazz I've had, which includes a '69, a 2001 '60s classic, and a couple of very nice Road Worn Jazzes ('08 and '11). I considered an MIA standard Jazz. They are very very good. I played one against the CS relic, and also compared the relic to my best Road Worn. There was a clear tonal difference, and I used the same amp in the same room, with the same weight fresh (Fender) strings.

Find a Custom Shop dealer in the UK, if you can.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't forget to check out the new American Vintage series. They aren't cheap, but they are pretty exceptional. If money isn't a concern I would also agree with the custom shop route. Killer basses.

10. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Fender custom shop is your friend.... Left is Masterbuilt (about $5K street price), and the right is "Team Built" about $3K street price

DSC_0035.

11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

This. I would go with the '74 Jazz Bass.
    American Vintage '74 Jazz BassĀ® | Fender Bass Guitars

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

Or this ^ :)

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sure you just don't have to pay extra for that? ;)

14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    drooldrool

15. Ace666

Ace666

Feb 24, 2015
    Thank you all Gentlemen, USA certainly contains some polite, informed and helpful Fender bass enthusiasts. Bedtime now in the UK for me but I look forward to reading any further responses on the morrow. I thank you for your guidance.

Ace.

SamJ likes this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Well, I'm none of those things, that's for the other posters! :) Sleep well, and dream of Fender Custom Shop basses!

SamJ likes this.
  17. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    Fender American Standard or American Deluxe are the way to go.

18. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I just bought a American Standard (new) about 2 weeks ago.

For me it has become "the one" I have been looking for since 1974.

You've got a lot of great suggestions here and if I could have gone Custom Shop I probably would have. But I have always drool over the tobacco sunburst finish and the Am Std I got has the best one I've ever seen (in real life). That with the awesome neck and CS60 pickups that thing has turned into my dream bass. And it's stock. Probably going to stay that way.

Good luck I'm sure you will find what you're looking for.

19. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    If you need any help ....i'm happy to help if you need to ship something from America!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  20. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    That Team Build burst with block inlays is mighty nice looking! I wish they offered block inlays as an option for the passive American Standard J's.