1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resonator bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuzyCreamcheese, Feb 21, 2008.

1. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent (left handed ... I know, but I guess a symmetrical model will have to do) resonator bass guitar.
    I know fender used to sell them but can't find them on their site anymore.
    Does anyone know any other brands who sells decent resonator basses (Does Dobro sell basses?).

Thanks in advance

2. dobrobass_01.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow; neat bi-plane;)
    Google didn't find me any returns on a resonator bass in current production...

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Check out Ebay... Dobro Bass. It's inexpensive, made in China probably. I've been tempted but so far haven't gone for it. I did ask the seller what scale and was told 34".

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bass-Resona...201531250QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200201531250

huh...doesn't scream quality, but for the price...if it holds together, you could do some setup work yourself and maybe have a decent axe.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Kelly brand is reputable enough; I can't find one of those f/s online anywhere...
    I'd expect those to run ~$600, if they're priced like the 6 string models.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Them are six shooters son;)

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I think the Micheal Kelly's are sub $500.

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Companies seem to make them for short stretches and then stop, I know that Regal, Johnson, National, Dobro, Fender and Kelly have all made them at one time or another. Finding any of the above used or new may take some real detective work at this point.

Good Luck!

10. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    um thanks for turning on the GAS for a new bass.. now i NEED a ResBass! it'll look great next to the bass banjo and washtub!

11. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

Aug 10, 2005
    Detroit
    i played a Rondo resonator bass, but i gotta tell you that i didnt like it at all, although it was very very different. It couldnt be my only bass, but i have a few basses that fall into THAT catagory.

you can always get an acoustic bass guitar and customize it with a resonator.
    I wonder what a piezo glued to the resonator would sound like????

hmmmmm...

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I played one.

It sounded like springs stretched over a garbage can lid.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    They seem to go for about $700 everywhere I've seen them. The "springs stretched over a garbage can lid" sound is exactly what I want, so I'm glad to know these things have it. ;) I love the piercing, metallic sound of resonator guitars.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Happy to help. One trio I work with is based around a resonator guitar. I find the thump of something like a Casady with flats works well for us.

15. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Yeah, I think the charm might be lost in a situation where I was playing a more "traditional" bass role, but as more of a lead instrument, maybe tuned tenor, I think it would be really cool.

16. holygoat1969

holygoat1969

Feb 6, 2007
    would you mind letting me know if you come up with anything...i'm currently in the market for one also
    thanx much

17. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Eh? Several resonator basses have been mentioned in this thread. A few different price ranges, too.

18. Played the Fender one last gig. Venue's owner had it, and lend it to me to play a song. I'll post video!